Replacing the Embedded Key: 1. Possible? & How 2. Would that Work?

Discussion in 'Windows Embedded' started by namboo, Jul 13, 2013.

1. namboo

namboo MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    Hi.

I bought a Dell laptop a couple months ago and it was preinstalled with Windows 8 (non-Pro).
    It always shows the same product key even when I used a different disc for installation (not asked for a key during installation!).
    It looks like the key is built in hardwarewise say in the bios or somewhere.

I bought a Pro ver more recently.
    It came with a Pro key.
    Is it possible to replace the embedded key with this?
    and how?

Would that work for activation?

Thank you.

2. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    Instead of trying to edit your bios, you can place an ei.cfg into the Win8 Pro iso/usb drive and then boot to it for install. That will allow you to change your edition.

open notepad and type

[Channel]
    Retail
    [VL]

then save as ei.cfg and put it at sources folder of the dvd/usb drive. Then you can enter a key for pro or core during install.

3. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. calpo

calpo MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    Thanks bro.

5. Snuffy

Snuffy MDL Expert

Jan 7, 2008
    Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro is a simple procedure as told in this tutorial: Add Features to Windows 8.

You don't have to unplug anything, simple start Add Features dialog and add your Windows 8 Pro product key. Windows takes care of the rest.

again - tried an tested method by M$

"Add features to Windows 8" is the replacement for Anytime Upgrade. This tutorial will show you how to open and use Add features to Windows 8.

In Add features to Windows 8, you can get an edition of Windows 8 that has more features than your current edition.

To get a new edition, you need to buy a product key — they're available at electronics stores. Make sure to buy a product key that's specifically for Add features to Windows 8. You can also buy a product key online in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States.

Once you buy a product key and enter it into Add features to Windows 8, new features will be added to your PC automatically and you'll have a new edition of Windows 8. Nothing will happen to your apps, files, and settings.

Then recommended that you make a Offline (USB HDD Restore Image) by M$ in Q&A....
    no need to hack any ISO... upgrade to Pro same as you would upgrade to WMC....
    really very basic..

6. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    I considered suggesting this, but I thought an upgrade key was needed, not a retail. That's cool

7. namboo

namboo MDL Novice

Feb 20, 2008
    Thank you for those tips.
    My question is for technical aspects however, not meaning I want to install Pro...

8. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009