[REQ] Expert advise needed, CPU replacement

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Mazrim Taim, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012
  2. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    Not much info out there about that Packard Bell pc, it's no longer supported and nothing to find in the way of cpu support for that pc. The only thing you can go on is the ATI RS410 chipset and hope for the best

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Joe C

Joe C MDL Guru

Jan 12, 2012
    #4 Joe C, Apr 4, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    Although Gigabyte did make the board, it most likely has a bios set for Packard Bell specs because it is considered a (custom) Packard Bell board, that's why you won't find that model on the Gigabyte web site. Without anything from PB on line or other people making their own upgrades on that particular board and posting their results on line, then what may or may not work will be a calculated guess

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. WindowsGeek

WindowsGeek MDL Expert

Jun 30, 2015
    In my opinion is a waste of money, good luck with that.

5. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #6 tonto11, Apr 5, 2018
    Hi Mazrim

This is not a recommendation , it's just a story
    I bought a new HP/Compaq sx5010nx about the same time as you, 2007 I think
    It's been running 24/7 ever since
    about 5 years or so ago I did the same as you , changed the cpu , Celeron D 4.6ghz benchmark 344
    for a Core 2 4300 1.8ghz benchmark 1048 I chose what was cheapest previously used, on ebay. That made a noticeable improvement .
    maxed the memory 2g
    put a bigger hard drive and a pci/multiple usb board and a video card
    and changed the os from vista to win7
    performance is now:
    cpu 4.7
    mem 4.8
    graph 3.7
    game 5.8
    hd 5.8

I've turned off windows update and now use simplix only

I'm going to run it till it stops , then junk it

...T

6. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012
    And what would you do with a PC that still runs perfectly fine; just a little sluggish at times because it has trouble handling today's standards?
    Put it in a cardboard box and forget about it? Dismantle it for spare parts? Try to sell it for next to nothing?

Or maybe try to upgrade it just enough so it can run smoothly again? For as little as possible?
    So far I've spent 80 euro's ($90) on a graphics card and an SSD for the old PC. Both can easily be used in another PC. So no waste of money there.

And if I can decide on which CPU to get, I'd be looking at an additional 20 to 25 euro's ($25-$30) including shipping and thermal paste.
    Not a waste if it works and I can squeeze maybe 5 more years of service out of the old PC. It only needs to remain able to handle relatively light work.
    I have a more powerful laptop and a new desktop PC for the rest.

Like Tonto mentioned; run it till it stops.
    When that happens I'll reuse what can be used (graphics, SSD, HD, maybe PSU) and junk the rest.

Speaking of old; I still have a Commodore 128D that works just fine after 30 years. ;)

7. Mazrim Taim

Mazrim Taim MDL Member

Feb 23, 2012
  8. tonto11

tonto11 MDL Addicted

Jun 18, 2012
    #9 tonto11, Apr 5, 2018
    Theoretically the core2 cpu would work with my chipset, but that doesn't mean that the bios would permit it to work, I had searched the forums for folks who had upgraded my board and no one complained that it wouldn't work.
    as you said spend $6 or $8 bucks in the interest of science
    The Pentium D will work for sure, but triple the performance is better than double

It would be a different story if the cpu cost $100 you would want assurance that it really would work.

PS I've already got the replacement for my 5010nx when it dies.
    Last summer I got a pair of point of sale Dell O755s , same Celeron processor for $20 each
    Was able to replace with an intel Q6600 for $15 performance 2900, with 4g ram, and a graphics card it has 6 usb ports and runs Win7 x64.
    I love playing with junk to see how far I can push it. :D

...T

9. TigTex

TigTex MDL Senior Member

Oct 5, 2009
    The RC410 does NOT support any core2duo based cpu, so you can only use pentium4, celeron D and pentium D!
    Remember, those cpu's waste a lot of energy for little performance. They can't even play youtube at 720p (by software).
    If you pay your electricity, consider buying a second hand pc. Look at windowsgeek's post.