Request for inquiring minds regarding unusual BIOS

Discussion in 'BIOS Mods' started by b166er, Feb 18, 2010.

1. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Hi,

I'm trying to mod my Phoenix BIOS. It's unusual in that it's an Intel VBI reference board used by various OEM's; Quanta, Compal etc. However it's in a Philips laptop sold by DSG in the UK. The original BIOS had an OEMID of DSGVISTALTD and a 2.0 SLIC.
    I grabbed the latest BIOS from the Intel site for this board and flashed it.
    The OEMID changed to GATEWAM ????? (Bear in mind, this is a BIOS from Intel)
    Anyhow, I downloaded the latest PhoenixTool122 and RW-Everything1.4 and set about overwriting with a SLIC2.1 bin.
    The tool accepted the .WPH, I selected the ACER SLIC from the SLIC pack found elsewhere on the forums and the AcpiTbls.rw report generated by RW-Everything.
    Clicked GO. PhoenixTool1.4 returned SUCCESS, so I proceede to flash the modded BIOS.
    No problem, however, when I fired up SLIC_Dump_Toolkit3.2 to check, it says "Dump OK ! (But SLIC OEM ID or Digital Signature Error !)" and in the SLIC Diagnosis section, the PubKey and RDST fields say GATEWAM, while the Marker field says ACRSYSACRPRDCT ????
    The SLP1.0 tab says SLP OEM String is Gateway.

What can I do now to make PubKey, RDST and Marker match ???

BTW, I had also tried using the ASUS SLIC and experienced the same problem, so I tried with the ACER one as I read all the Gateway stuff is dealt with by Acer now.

Help much appreciated.

2. HuntMike

HuntMike MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    What computer/laptop do you have? I'm having similar problems with a Gateway machine...

3. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    It's a TW3M chassis in a Philips X58.
    Can you get the PubKey/Marker to match, but not the RDST header?

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    How about a link tot he bios so I can look at it..We have had some issues with compal and some Gateway bios..

A RWeverything dump of the acpitables would be helpful..preferably with the factory bios flashed.

Sometimes you have to manually change the strings to match..If it is like a one from openfly, it may be very difficult.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
  6. b166er

b166er MDL Junior Member

Sep 9, 2009
    openfly, did you replace the logo?
    Did you add a black logo replacing the red one, or remove the logo?
    The readme with the logo changer is not that explanatory :p

7. openfly

openfly MDL Member

Oct 18, 2009
    #8 openfly, Feb 20, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
    why worry about the brick?
    the bios is 100% matched with your motherboard.
    I think you know how to recover from brick just in case.
    without any logo file, it will be same as unmodified original intel black logo.
    if you want something like advent or philips, it will be add logo which you are prefer.

8. pharma

pharma MDL Novice

May 17, 2008
    #9 pharma, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    The same thing happened with me with my gateway. To correct the problem to get all three to match, I went into the ADVANCED section of the PhoenixTool1.47 and using "trial and error" got it to work. In my case it was a Gateway laptop with the ACER certificate and SLIC 2.1. I did this a few weeks ago, late at night so my memory isn't quite there. The change that did it for me was to change some of the Advanced default settings (left-hand side) so that it will take info from from the Acer SLIC 2.1 instead of the RW Report (Gateway Bios) regarding the PubKey, RDST and Marker tables. The SLIC_Dump_Toolkit 3.2 was extremely helpful.

Just keep in mind there are no directions for the Advanced options and the chance to "break" your bios is high. Just have a backup that you can flash in the event you have problems -- I was fortunate and did not have any emergencies.

Pharma