Requesting MS NT Wkstn 4.0 1-2CPU Install Media

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by bludgard, May 20, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I have an old Dell Optiplex GX110 which has a COA for the above OS.

Up to this point I have been using the machine to compose school related material with installs of XP.

I would like to install the original OS as I have never experimented with it. I have searched high and low for NT Wkstn 4.0 with unsatisfactory results.

Can anyone point me in the right direction or at least convince me that I am wasting my time?

I would prefer an .ISO over floppy disk image but would be grateful for any legitamate install media.

Thanks

One

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    I appreciate the response, Samlappy. I have always shunned torrents...until now.:rolleyes:
    (My cousin loves them and her machines are always crashing from viruses and whatnot related to her indiscretions/who does she call?)

Although I play with viruses/malwares on VMs, I would hate to install one as an OS.;)

I am not allowed to employ P2P where I live but decided to try it at a remote location with my Win7 lappy. I have the material from the link provided and am going to run scans and checksum tomorrow. I will keep you updated as to how I get on with it.

I apologize for the belated reply as it took 3 hours+ to download and there were other things going on.

Thanks again.

One

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. Samlappy

Samlappy MDL Addicted

Mar 12, 2009
    Your welcome. Windows NT 4 is a server OS. You could use it to setup a network like they do at school and all other computers could connect to it.

Our school has lots of Viglen, Dell and HP computers and they are all connected to a server so that when you login to another PC you won't loose all your files or data. They also tend to add restrictions on the student user profile so that they can't change any settings or install, upgrade or configure programs or drivers.

The school that I go to also has special exam accounts so that there won't be any cheating in exams when they use a word processor.

4. bludgard

bludgard MDL Member

Jan 4, 2011
    #5 bludgard, May 22, 2011
    Last edited: May 22, 2011
    (OP)
    The link provided includes not only the NT 4.0 Wkstn OEM .ISO, there is also sp6i386.exe (the last service pack available for NT4.), Q299444i.exe (the last security rollup package.), and msie60.exe (self-extracting package containing the full installer for Internet Explorer 6, the last version that works on NT4.)

I have installed the OS on VBox and it runs great. I am quite ignorant of NT 4.0 but rest assured I will be fiddlin' around with it for some time to come. Thanks again for the link and confirming the fact that all torrents are not evil.;)

I have been at this for about three months off and on and got frustrated as h*** with the whole deal. I am glad I brought the issue to MDLF.

Again....Thanks, Samlappy.

One

Edit: This thread has been solved.