[RESOLVED] Boot freezes at windows splash screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sylar^, Jun 16, 2014.

1. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Everest isn't more reliable as the sensors it get's the info from!! Don't get me wrong, it's not the software, HWMonitor will just be fine! The apps could not give you other infos as it get's from the sensors!

By the way, the GPU which shows totally wrong is on an Asus Graphic Card!! And that's the best example to show what I'm talking about!!

Just don't trust that infos and if you could, use an different way for to check. OK, I've the Measuring instruments because I need them for my work. And that's exactly what I'm doing nearly every day: check Computer hardware! I doing services for Network and Computer in Hard- and Software with my company, include Recovery services.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Mr.X

Mr.X MDL Guru

Jul 14, 2013
    I mean all programs running that have an icon aside the clock. Right click them and exit, the ones that don't have an exit option leave them running.

3. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    #23 Sylar^, Jun 16, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    (OP)
    @pisthai
    I see i see, thanks i will keep this in mind =)

@Mr.X
    Ah right, okay i'll do it tomorrow and get back to this. It's super late i need to sleep haha

Thanks for both your help so far :thumbsup:

UPDATE:
    I tried running the exe but it says the version is not compatible with my windows.
    I double checked the updater and my windows version and they're both 64 bit so it should be working i don't know why i getting this error
    u.jpg

UPDATE #2:
    After disconecting my optical drive, my pc hasn't frozen on the windows splash screen for 5 boots now (about over 3-4 days total).
    If this does fix it, then what would be the reason having it plugged in causes the freeze? And now can i fix it so i can boot with my optical drive connected without freezing ~40% of the time?

I will keep it disconnected for a couple more days, then reconnect it and use my pc again for a while to see if it freezes upon booting. Hopefully this is the cause i've been looking for.

4. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    bump .

5. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  6. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Seems to be that the Optical drive is the problem. Is it an internal or external drive? If an external, check with the manufacturer there an update for the drive available and if yes, try that to install/update the drive. It's also possible that the PCB of the drive is on it's way 'down'!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    @Tito

Ohh i see, thanks =)

@pisthai

It's an internal one. Would having the optical drive connected create that little teeny tiny more load to make the PSU not be able to handle stable boot?

I've reconnected the power connector but NOT the sata connector to the optical drive so i can see if it's a PSU/mobo problem. I will run my computer for a couple of days and see if it freezes on boot.

I don't know if the drive itself can be a factor for the freezing, especially since i was booting fine with my previous computer build (using same optical drive). Possible drive is the problem and not mobo or PSU?

8. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    Also for internal drives, check with the manufacturer if they provide an (newer) Firmware for that drive and if so, try to update the firmware first.

Internal optical drives are more likely 'attacked' from dust and moisture than external drives because they're the whole time 'open' and maybe also running. It's possible that the SATA Data Cable triggers the problem about those dust and moisture. So, if you've an spare one, exchange and try again. In my company we're using a special spray (Kontakt 61) for to clean the connectors which works often. That Spray is an Belgium Product and very famous in Europe, in Thailand only available in 1 shop in Bangkok's China Town the place where I buy that, it's the best we ever used!

9. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Thanks for the reply again :biggrin:

Okay, then should i still continue to run the optical drive with power cable connected and sata cable disconnected?

Or try update firmware and change? (Do you mean change optical drive or sata cable?)

10. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    First try change the SATA Cable, connect power back and check! Look anyway there's an Firmware available for that drive and if, update!

According to your post's, it's the optical drive which triggers the problem. Now you need to find out the drive is still capable to run normally or not. If you have an power Meter, you could check (computer running!!) if the power jack has the required power which should: 1 black and 1 yellow = 12V and 1 black and 1 red 5V (12V is powering the Motor of the drive while 5V needed by the PCB Electronic). Use a different SATA Cable (a new one, NOT an older!!) for the test run! If still has an problem, check which an different optical drive.

11. OldMX

OldMX MDL Addicted

Jul 30, 2009
    If possible try flashing the optical drive to its latest firmware.

12. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Okay thanks I will try that ^^
    I'll post back in a few days if all goes well and there's no freezing (fingers crossed)

13. burfadel

burfadel MDL EXE>MSP/CAB

Aug 19, 2009
  14. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Hmm i have no anti-virus and my drivers are same as the ones i used in my previous build so i don't think that'd be the problem
    Should i update my optical drive driver from that site or stick with my current since auto search says it's most updated?

15. RJARRRPCGP

RJARRRPCGP MDL Senior Member

Feb 24, 2010
  16. Sylar^

Sylar^ MDL Novice

Jan 21, 2014
    Damn, if that's true that does no sound good at all =\