Resolving KB971033 and Reactivating Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Champion, Feb 28, 2010.

1. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #21 WinFLP, Feb 28, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
  2. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    Mine thinks it's installed, even though it isn't. It's weird. I uninstalled it, flashed the BIOS to a later SLIC version, Went back to that morning's drive image, before I'd installed it, and then it was fine of course. So, I boot it up, thinking I'd test to see if it'll install and f**k it up again with this BIOS. I downloaded the file, went to run it and it said it's already installed, but it's not! It doesn't appear in the installed updates at all, though.

3. Champion

Champion MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    #24 Champion, Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    My version of Win 7 was not an evaluation version and therefore had no evaluation period. Therefore rearming would not have served any purpose. I simply did not want to jump through MS hoops and install more software that would help them sniff around in my OS. I found there was no other way.

4. Champion

Champion MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    #25 Champion, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    A Couple More Observations:

• I noticed after I uninstalled KB971033 and after going online to activate through MS, KB971033 was reinstalled in my MS updates. Unsure if that was all it did.
    • I did try to restore to previous time, before update was installed, but the restores were unsuccessful.
    • I currently can't afford hard disk space in order to do a proper image and complete backup, and am reminded how important it is to find a way to make it happen.
    • I was pleased to find that although KB971033 de-activated me, I did not get locked out of Win7 or lose functionality. There was no time clock ticking. Just really annoying nags, and the loss of my desktop background, and Message on my desktop. So, unless your version of windows was a trial version, there is probably no reason to panic.

5. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #26 WinFLP, Mar 1, 2010
  6. Champion

Champion MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    #27 Champion, Mar 1, 2010
    (OP)
    I'm glad you know what you know. :worthy: Many people who come to get help here don't know this and this stuff can be quite criptic at best.
    I tried to validate with your code "%SystemRoot%\system32\Wat\WatAdminSvc.exe /run" but I'm not a friggin programmer and wasn't sure what you meant by "%SystemRoot%" If you just meant the root directory where system32 etc. exists I tried it and it didn't work for me. Was not a recognized command at my command prompt. I would have loved to "force" a validation but it didn't work. YES probably because I am ignorant and I only half as much as I need to know. That's why I am here trying to get help. Thanks for your support

7. King_Jay16

King_Jay16 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #28 King_Jay16, Mar 1, 2010
  8. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    People who are trying to remove the nagging, after installing 971033;

You should learn to keep backups! Then you wouldn't be going through all this hassle! At least a week of full system backups can save you a ton of hassles.

9. Champion

Champion MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    Got that right. I think I am going to buy an extra hardrive and try to set up a NAS to just automatically update. It's just another time sink and cost $$$. But, at least this way when MS tries to throw a curve ball we have nothing to lose.

10. OneOfOne

OneOfOne MDL Novice

Feb 27, 2010
    I dont know, maybe I am lucky. I have daz loader activation method on 2 rtm systems and foolishly did the updates WITHOUT LOOKING TO SEE WHAT THEY WERE BEFOREHAND and when I rebooted, the 971033 on both systems was not selected. so I hid it on both systems though I am sure ms will come back with an involuntary 'solution' to the daz loader problem. if its suggested that people keep backups then it should also be suggested that people who dont have 'legallly' activated installs MUST read to see what is being installed or recommended by windows update before they blithely just click 'install'.

11. SloppyGoat

SloppyGoat MDL Novice

Jul 28, 2009
    #32 SloppyGoat, Mar 1, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
    You don't need a NAS just to do backups...just plenty of space anywhere. Those 1TB Caviar Blacks are cheap now, and fast too! I just picked up a pair. They're actually as fast or faster than Raptors.

It was not checked by default anyway. Not sure why. I checked it on purpose, just to see what would happen, since I knew I had a backup from that morning.

12. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Just copy and paste the line, complete with the %systemroot%, into a run box (winkey+R), or a command prompt. %systemroot% is a variable, and in systems where windows is installed on the D: or E: drive will still work with the command.

Alternatively you can try navigating there in explorer, eg: c:\windows\system32\wat\watadminsvc.exe

Note if you uninstalled KB971033 it won't be there.

Restoring from a backup is a pain in the ass compared to re-validating or rearming, which is all that needs to be done to fix validation issues, but people act as if their computer is permanently ruined.

13. wodsoa

wodsoa MDL Novice

Mar 2, 2010
    #34 wodsoa, Mar 2, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2010
    Success!

Just wanted to thank everyone involved in this thread for helping me clear this up. I had no loaders initially installed when I mistakenly installed KB971033.

I system restored to a date before the update was installed (although manually uninstalling would have worked just as well). Rearmed the OS, and then installed the DAZ Loader 1.7.7 with Dell Info in the advanced properties. Windows is now showing as activated. Pretty simple fix, if you ask me... :D

EDIT: Don't reinstall that stupid update, obviously! :p

14. aztrach

aztrach MDL Novice

Jul 2, 2010
    Hi there, i tried the code
    slmgr /rearm
    but all it seems to do is bring me to
    Windows --> system32 --> slmgr
    please help, i'm a noob.. T_T

15. Keeper75

Keeper75 MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2009
    I would like to thanks everyone that helped in this post ( especially Champion :) ) for giving the tip that after installing the KB971033 some people would need to revalidate their Win7s, even if they had a Bios Slic Mod+valid key(not black listed)+ valid cert!

Thanks for the Microsoft Genuine Validation link!

16. bommy28

bommy28 MDL Novice

Jul 12, 2010
    You guys are great!!!

I read many posts in order to resolve my Windows genuine issue but nothing useful found. Tried Hazar and all too but no use.

And now I am really thankful to "WinFLP" who posted the rearm command.

And my issue is resolved.

Thanks again

17. kizer8

kizer8 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    I am unable to uninstall KB971033 via Programs and Features in the Control Panel. I get an error stating: "An error has occured. Not all of the updates were succesfully uninstalled." Anybody know how to uninstall this since I think I have been flagged.

Thanks,
    Kizer

18. kizer8

kizer8 MDL Novice

Feb 22, 2011
    Thanks for the reply, but is there away without reinstalling?