Restore a full system from an existing client computer backup: Failed

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Mac25, May 19, 2015.

1. Mac25

Mac25 MDL Novice

Jan 11, 2008
    using the 'Server 2012 R2 created USB Recovery Key' to restore a local PC Failed with error Code: 0xc000000e while trying to boot your Windows 8 computer [ File"\Windows\system32\winload.exe] missing, If you have the Windows 8 installation media, then I would suggest you to run an Automatic Repair of Windows 8 using the installation media.

is this common to fail in such a way that Automatic Repair of Windows must be run after a restore from server 2012 r2, I followed the procedure found on Technet , and used a larger hard drive during a restore test, nothing has changed in the location of or the PC other than the hard drive size.

2. Draker

Draker MDL Novice

May 4, 2010
    Too Much Caution by M$

I had an error when using a USB recovery to migrate Win8.1 from OEM HD to bigger SSD. Fix was to realign disk size in an ini file? I remember that recovery worked when matching the recovery disk image size specified in a recovery file. Been a while so memory vague on which recovery file, and where USB is? No too hard to recognize when opening the correct file. Used notepad to edit. Recovery uses an "if greater than" current disk size compare to recovery imaged size. PC recovered and ran flawlessly after disk size edit. SSD larger size also as expected even though recovery was from a smaller disk. Will update if remember or come across the USB.