Restore Activation

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tulip, Aug 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tulip

Tulip MDL Novice

Aug 22, 2012
    I have a Windows 8.1 laptop, I want to reinstall Windows 8.1 to get rid of the bloatware, is there any way to backup the activation? I know with Windows 7 I would just run activation backup and restore, it would give me the key and certification file, I'd put the certificate in the $OEM$ etc folders and had the key in a autounattend file on the root so it would be activated on first boot.

I have tried Advanced Tokens Manager and backed up my activation, I then used a different hard drive (didn't want to wipe the working hard drive yet!) and reinstalled Windows 8.1, I put the key (used ProduKey) inside a autounattend file that WinToolKit created, when it loaded it wasn't activated, so I tried to restore from Advanced Tokens Manager but it didn't work?

I could try a online activation I guess it should work, but I might want to reinstall it a few more times and I understand you only get 1 activation in a certain time period?

Thanks
    Mike

2. timster

timster MDL Senior Member

Aug 23, 2009
    #2 timster, Aug 19, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
    if the key is embedded in the BIOS, you don't need to backup an activation. just install the same version of the OS on the second hard drive and it should activate automatically.

if it doesn't, you'll need to open command prompt as admin and use the following commands to load the product key into Windows and tell the system to activate

slmgr -ipk XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
    slmgr -ato

for future reference, backing up the activation only works when reinstalling on the same hard drive.

3. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009