Restore SSD to factory values?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by SupremeSabre, Apr 29, 2011.

1. SupremeSabre

SupremeSabre MDL Junior Member

Oct 22, 2010
    I've heard that it's a good idea to restore SSD to factory values ...and now that i'm gonna put my SSD on another machine and i'm going to clean install the W7+SP1 onto it, I wonder if I should take this opportunity to reset my SSD to factory values.

It's an Intel X25m Gen2 80gb. Is it unnecessary for Gen 2 ssds to be reset? since TRIM is fully supported? If i should do it, which tools are recommended?

Thanks for guidance:roflmao:

2. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SupremeSabre

Oct 22, 2010
    Is yours a Gen2 as well? I ran the optimizer and it took just a split sec. Does that mean TRIM has been doing its job? Or does the optimizer only work on the free space(i have no idea what it actually does). Honestly i haven't felt any performance degradation and now that i've seen the HDDerase page i'm a bit daunted by the process:p . My SSD is 9 mth old.

4. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Hi, I'm running Gen 2 also. The optimizer only takes a few seconds as you stated, and HDDErase doesn't take much longer but seems to do a better job. If you haven't suffered any performance loss, just re-format and install the OS. When or if you decide to run the HDDErase tool, just remember to set IDE mode in the bios or the tool won't recognize the sata SSD.

As for Trim, I believe you need three components although I'm no expert. An AHCI supported controller, an AHCI/Trim supported driver, and a Trim supported OS (Windows 7). Do you have these three components?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. SupremeSabre

Oct 22, 2010
    I believe i do...Intel(R) 5 Series 4 Port SATA AHCI Controller, driver version 10.1.0.1008.
    I think i'll just try to abuse my SSD more...until there's significant degradation and do the factory reset in future :D thanks for the help

6. starams5

starams5 MDL Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Thanks. No doubt about it, you have the right components including the latest RST drivers. I also have a Socket775 750i, unfortunately its missing a few components, AHCI being one of them...... Take care.