Restoring W7 Ultimate from W7 Enterprise Image?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by rockinmom, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Do u have Realtek Audio??

2. rockinmom

rockinmom MDL Junior Member

Dec 7, 2011
    I'm creating a restore point after each working driver LOL

3. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    No, I have Conexant HD Audio.

stupid audio.jpg

4. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    go ahead and install realtek and easy on restore points :biggrin5:

5. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    haha ok... maybe I'll save every other one instead after each one :)

My brain hurts. I'll have to try to finish this later and nap for now. I'm going to have a 2 year old awake in the next hour or so. I'll keep you guys posted, thanks for the help so far!

6. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    sounds like a good plan, nice progress anyway, lata

7. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    #47 rockinmom, Feb 1, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
    (OP)
    Ok guys here's a tough one for ya, hopefully someone out there can interpret this for me. Got all drivers installed, working great! I plugged in some external speakers and suddenly a box popped up that said it was checking for a solution to an audio problem and was scanning. Then the computer crashed. I was unable to restart, unplugged the speakers and tried again. Still nothing (hanging at the loading Windows screen).

I did a start up repair and got this info (sorry, had to take a pic with my phone):

bsod.jpg

After I logged in I got the message that Windows has recovered from an unexpected shutdown and it had this info:

Problem signature:
    Problem Event Name: BlueScreen
    OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:
    BCCode: d1
    BCP1: 8FCDB5D4
    BCP2: 00000002
    BCP3: 00000008
    BCP4: 8FCDB5D4
    OS Version: 6_1_7600
    Service Pack: 0_0
    Product: 256_1

Files that help describe the problem:
    C:\Windows\Minidump\020112-25911-01.dmp
    C:\Users\Jessi\AppData\Local\Temp\WER-169978-0.sysdata.xml
    (tried to upload the files but it said I didn't have permission to access the .dmp and I couldn't even find the sysdata)

8. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    Ok there, whats the status now? I don't know that error yet. So I take it u ran a repair start up and what happened after!

9. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    we know the DVD works or worked ,and i doubt sound card is messed up. Try realtek.

10. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    I have the Realtek installed now. It's the only one that will install without saying "no device found for this driver" which is off since I KNOW conexant was on there before.

I get the sinking feeling that hatever happened happened in the BIOS but I don't have a way of checking that without modding the BIOS. I'm smart and can follow directions but I'm terrified of doing that and screwing something up.

11. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    I haven't experienced the bios messing sound card but who knows , maybe some other MDL dude will know.
    so you have both conexant and realtek installed, right?

12. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    It won't let me install the conexant and tells me there's no device for the driver.

13. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    Thanks for the reply acrsn, I checked for new updates and it tells me "Windows is up to date" with no available updates. When I go into settings I have it set to "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them" and have checked "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates".

14. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    #55 rockinmom, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    (OP)
    I just did that, it was set to yes so I ran another update check and still nothing :(

The sound stopped working after a Vista update. I did a clean install of W7 and sound actually worked until it ran the first updates then quit working again. From there, did another clean install and it continued to not work. System restore to before the updates, still no sound. That's why I'm thinking it may be in the BIOS but there's no way to view the advanced settings with this HP.

Just out of curiosity, how are techs able to get into the advanced settings on computers if the manufacturer disables it? Like if you send your laptop off to HP to get it repaired, I know they have a way of getting into there.

1.jpg 2.jpg

EDIT: A strange thing I noticed is that on the "Windows is up to date" screen it says updates are for Windows only. Shouldn't that be for drivers as well?

15. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    Correct, I have tried all drivers from HP and even tried installing them in compatibility mode but it tells me there's no device for the drivers. The reason I mentioned BIOS is because this is a notebook so it has onboard audio. My fear is that one of the updates has disabled the onboard audio. I actually had a MS tech ask me to check the advanced BIOS to see if it was enabled there but sadly, HP took that setting away from the end user.

16. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    The only option I have is "Check for Updates" but there are none. I assume that's why there's no "View available updates" since there are none available. Here are the shots of dev mgr. Nothing shows.

1-1.jpg 1-2.jpg 1-3.jpg 1-4.jpg 1-5.jpg

17. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    Also, not sure if this means anything but here is a shot of the system info (msinfo32)

msi-1.jpg msi-2.jpg msi-3.jpg msi-4.jpg msi-5.jpg

Notice on the last screen shot it says the hdaudbus driver's status is stopped. I'm not sure how to enable it (or if it even will). I'm not even sure if that will make a difference.

18. rockinmom

Dec 7, 2011
    Another thought I had... what if it's PnP related? I know MS has PnP updates and drivers and stuff as part of their software. I actually just tried plugging in external speakers and they weren't even detected. I reset the CMOS battery just to see if that would help (which it didn't).

19. hbhb

hbhb MDL Expert

Dec 15, 2010
    #60 hbhb, Feb 3, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
    one thought here that hopefully will spark some is that I am thinking the sound joint could have been disabled through registry, that is a maybe. Reason being , I had one vaio that wifi was absolutely shut under xp and win 7 , no matter what! for sho i thought it was fried,i tried everything i could however a new OS install, biatch was up and running
    could be a switch thingy a 1 instead of a 0 somewhere or vice versa

anyway just thinking out loud here, finding sound registry and flipping some coins will be some i ll try
    also while we at it , u can go ahead and try driver genius, pm if needed