Retrieving serial number from toshiba laptop?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by iNO12, Oct 7, 2009.

1. iNO12

iNO12 MDL Member

Jul 27, 2009
    #1 iNO12, Oct 7, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    Hi Guys,

I have a friend that has a really messed up laptop, well, operating system. He claims it is really slow, applications don't work etc. So he asked me to format and install windows again, so I am going to do that.

He has Windows Vista that came with his toshiba laptop. I am just wondering if anyone knows how I could get the serial number from it for when I install windows again? He has no disk and does not know the serial number.

Also another quick question, it would be an OEM key so would I need an oem copy of windows to use the key or would retail be fine too?

Thanks,
    iNO12

2. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    Read the stickies..The oem slp serials may interest you, as will the certificates..

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. ricksy50

ricksy50 MDL Junior Member

Sep 15, 2009
    my toshiba xp laptop came with a vista upgrade but until sp1 i also had probs,still ran like a bag of garbage even with major ram upgrade, tosh usually install a lot of junk you dont need so i first just did a clean install using just default drivers,laptop still slow gone back to xp pro.

4. stonedagain

stonedagain MDL Junior Member

Sep 30, 2009
    I used a program called ABR to find & make backups of the product key & activation certificate. It restores them after re-installation of Vista. Only works for OEM though.