risk of colocating

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by grambaM, Feb 3, 2011.

1. grambaM

grambaM MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2011
    What would the risks be if I was to have a server with windows server 2008 downloaded from here using oem keys and windows loader to activate it and then collocated it at a datacenter? I have never collocated a server before do technicians at datacenters have to check your server out before setting it up and stuff? Has anyone here ever done this before? All input would help.

Thanks

2. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    If any of the technicials were intelligent, then this one would be a BIG no go

sebus

3. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    Most data centers, you pay for the space and the connection, they don't care what you install in the rack. You could put a hamster cage in there with an IP camera for all they care. OK, well maybe they draw the line at live animals, but you get the idea.

Be sure to check all their support policies first. The place I used had a $250 per hour fee, minimum one hour, if they had to touch anything (reboot a locked up router for instance).

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nefarious

nefarious MDL Novice

Aug 17, 2009
    Most colo sites should not have login access to your box unless you give it to them to make a change. Majority do not care what you do with it, but should it ever be questioned by authorities for any reason and a court orders, they will hand the box over to them.