Root canal question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Pasta88, Dec 30, 2017.

1. Pasta88

Pasta88 MDL Expert

Jun 17, 2009
    For those of you who have had root canals before, I was wondering if it is possible to have a molar tooth permanently filled instead of having a crown put on it?

thx

2. cowbawx

cowbawx MDL Junior Member

Aug 13, 2009
    Doubt that. I'm no dentist but once the nerve is removed, correct me if I am wrong, but the tooth will start to die. That is why a crown is usually required. I have a crown on top of my molar (what's left of it, anyway). The dentist used it as a post, instead of an artificial post. The cheaper alternative - just have the tooth pulled, along with the nerve.

3. sid_16

sid_16 MDL Giveaway Organiser

Oct 15, 2011
    [​IMG]
    As far as the OP question is concerned and as far as I know, after having one of my tooth root canal done in a dentist clinic, I can tell that a normal restoration (filling) is not possible in an infected tooth. Either one has to remove the infected tooth or get it root canal done, these are two ways to get rid of the nagging/throbbing pain from the infected tooth. Basically a dentist avoid/advise doing restoration in an infected tooth as shown in the 1st picture due to the infection at the apex of the root 'cos the infected tooth can't bear the pressure of a simple restoration of it.
    Therefore, the patient has to do a root canal if s/he doesn't get his/her tooth removed. Its a simple process of 2 sittings or in a hi-tech clinic with laser facilities available, its done in one sitting also. Then leave to tooth heal up for few days after that visit the dentist for a crown fixation, 'cos the root canal tooth is a functional- dead tooth. However, to preserve it for few more years the patient has to fix a crown on top of it.

Crown preparation and fixation:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...