Router password forgotten.

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Niekess, Aug 4, 2011.

1. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    I'm clueless.

My router password was changed recently with a crappy keyboard, tried to use the same keyboard to get it back but no success.
    I thought no problem, just reset router and password back.. but no.
    Holding reset button is not working, neither is unplugging the power helping.

My router is Davolink 201AMR and really need the password restored..

2. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Default is "user" and "user" but that doesn't work after doing these resets button spamming and unplugging power. :S
    And Google didn't really helped me with this problem. :p

3. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Will keep it unplugged during time I sleep, will be for around 8 hours. ;)

4. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Michelle68

Michelle68 MDL Senior Member

Jul 16, 2009
    All routers I have owned have a reset to factory default settings button.

The button is usually recessed and needs a pin type tool to reach it and hold in for about 20 seconds.

While it's in the factory default settings is a good time to upgrade the firmware if there is an update.

Now you will need to reapply all your custom router settings and a new password.

7. Niekess

Niekess MDL Addicted

Mar 31, 2011
    Power unplug didn't helped. Neither did the reset, unplug power and hold reset button while plugging back in.
    It's a real sucky router with this awesome reset button doing almost nothing, only thing it does is re-making the connections with the services.

Anyway, the flashing part sounds a bit of scary since this router is branded by the company I got the web connection from which is Versatel. And I believe seeing the Dutch forum Tweakers that the router is even from inside configured for the Versatel servers.

8. x86

x86 MDL Addicted

Jul 8, 2011
    So maybe you could contact Versatel, explain them the situation and ask them for the factory default firmware of the modem and instructions on how to flash it. It could also being a case of a corrupted modem ROM that prevents the reset button from functioning properly. Very unlikely in my opinion, but you never know... Do you have any sort of warranty for this thing or anything that you could use in order to request a replacement modem from them? It won't be a huge loss for them to replace straight away; it shouldn't have cost them more than 5-10 euros per unit...

9. 60cent

60cent MDL Senior Member

May 31, 2011
    If you got problems to recover try this.

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.