RTM x64 Right Click Explorer Crash?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by twss, Sep 5, 2009.

1. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009
    well guys k-lite is not da real prblm but da real prblm is with da extensions dat it activates. Windows 7 still has troubles reading some extensions.............nd wht vlc nd k-lite codecs will do is enable some extensions dat r highly incompatible with win 7.

2. santoshcoolhere

santoshcoolhere MDL Member

Jan 3, 2009

But da guy said dat he has a k-lite codec pack installed...................ny one can try dis at home........................install k-lite codec pack...........nd dats da end of ur win 7.............:):):p

3. beppe_7

beppe_7 MDL Junior Member

Feb 20, 2008
  4. twss

twss MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2009
    K-Lite Codec Pack is fine, I've used it for a long while, never caused any problems. It could be FF though because originally FF was acting like a bitch after a fresh install, none of my Favicons were showing for bookmarks and this was after a fresh RTM and FF install.

5. chetqwerty

chetqwerty MDL Novice

Aug 30, 2009
    listen, its a completely random occurrence. it has nothing to do in particular to x64 as it happens on x86 also. like many posters have said, you have to do a little work and play with shellexview till you get the offending program. mine happened to be 'better file rename' and an older version of 'winrar'. disabled those two and haven't had an explorer crash in weeks!

oh, and you shouldn't be using kas or kis 2010, stick with the kas 6 win 7 beta, works great and includes a firewall even though its named kas.

6. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    This is soooooooo evident!

All of you that having this issue are using KIS2010. This is soooo obvious when reading each ones of your posts.

Uninstall KIS2010 and use your Windows for couple of day without antivirus, you'll see, no crashes :p

7. celtikmind

celtikmind MDL Novice

Aug 31, 2007
    Yepp, using KIS... actually KAV 2010, too.

So, NOD32 kept screaming wolf every now and then which led it to me throwing it out, permanently. Now KAV will have to go for crashing explorer...

What's left that's still good but also have 'accessible' updates, without being a hog and putting stuff all over the OS?! :confused:

8. Allan R

Allan R MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    #28 Allan R, Sep 8, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
  9. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Allan, do you know which source you were using?

10. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Its not necessarily KIS. There are users on other forums that have this problem and are not using KIS.

11. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    Okay so I guess I'm wrong :p
    It was just obvious, first time I see so much KIS2010 users in the same thread, but maybe it's just coincidence :D

;)

12. Chainsore

Chainsore MDL Novice

May 19, 2007
    Mate, to be honest, who knows why its happening. The problem is that no one seems to be able to completely identify the conditions that this happens.

It might be a case of a combination of apps causing the crash.

13. Allan R

Allan R MDL Novice

Aug 24, 2009
    Both have the same build number
    Win 7 64 bit Ver 6.1.7600.16385 090713-1255 RTM
    The only difference I found was the versions of the explorer.exe file, the first install showed 6.1.7600.16404 and 6.1.7600.16385 depending on where you checked, Everest showed one version, Event viewer showed anouther for the same file.
    Now when I check the version it only shows 6.1.7600.16385 across the board. was this just a "glitch" with my download, how would the same file have two versions?
    All I know is no more explorer crashes, If I could just keep it activated coming out of sleep mode id be happy.

14. Porkrinds

Porkrinds MDL Novice

May 15, 2008
    No KIS here. Nvidia drivers are installed. Never happened until recently with both Vista x64 Home Premium and then following Windows 7 x64 home premium.

The crashes are random. I can go a day or more without it, but it always happens with the recycle bin or the 'my computer' when trying to work with files. Just today I was trying to right click a USB CD drive to view the number of tracks (audio cd) and it crashed 9 out of 10 times. Now I can do it and it won't crash at all.

Avira is the AV I have installed here. NO KIS2010 or w/e. It might be codecs, have CoreAVC and CCCP package installed. But no other codecs. I can't remember when the crashes start happening for me to be sure.

The windows event log has nothing to show me other than what I already posted and that really isn't helpful.

I'll dig at it some tomorrow, trying to check the shell viewer thing. I tried that on my Vista install, and can't recall now if that worked.

Bye, and thanks.

Attached is my list of what is installed according to Windows Control Panel.

Attached Files:

15. waliagan

waliagan MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    #35 waliagan, Sep 9, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    the problem is firefox who is in 32bits.
    Firefox works but it is not compatible with windows7 64bits and vista 64bits (bug).
    uninstall Firefox and the problem is solved. Never Right Click Explorer Crash.
    Waiting for firefox 3.6 in 64bits.

Thank's.

16. waliagan

waliagan MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    #37 waliagan, Sep 9, 2009
    Firefox works but it is not compatible with windows7 64bits and vista 64bits (bug).

Thank's.

17. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    And I'm sure 300% that WinRAR works perfectly well on Windows 7, even the old version.

It's probably your messy "ccleaner" the real problem, not related with WinRAR.

18. Opa

Opa MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    If you don't believe me, make a restore point and install WinRAR, you'll see you won't have any problem. If it goes wrong then you can make a system restore so it's safe. ;)

19. waliagan

waliagan MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    #40 waliagan, Sep 9, 2009

Thank's.