"Run as a different user" at logon screen

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by erdegan, Jan 15, 2010.

1. erdegan

erdegan MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    I have enabled and password-protected the build-in administrator account.
    Then I converted it into a hidden user account with the proper registry settings.
    This way, I can run programs as a build-in administrator when needed, and at the
    same time I don' t have the administrator showing up in the log-on screen
    by default.

However, there are occasions where it's useful to log in directly as
    administrator. To do so now, I must first login as the user with
    administrative privileges, un-hide the build-in administrator, and then
    log-off again. Of course, I also have to do the same procedure in reverse
    in order to hide the administrator from the log-on screen.

I really miss the double CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination that was triggering
    the prompt for user credential back in Win XP pro.

Does anybody knows if something like that could be implemented into Win 7
    Ultimate ? I mean a key combination that would trigger the OS to pop a prompt for
    "Run as another User" at the log-on screen ?

2. Animeniac

Animeniac MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    My computer is part of a domain so I don't know if this is the same for those that are not.
    When I'm prompted to enter my user/pass there is a button just below that says "Switch User". If I want to log into a local account I type "computer name"\"user name" and I can log into my machine account even though it doesn't show. I would assume if you're not part of a domain you wouldn't have to type the computer name. Hope it helps

3. erdegan

erdegan MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Thank you very much Animeniac. That's a good point. The switch user button doesn' t show up
    in computers that are part of workgroups. However, the solution might be to find
    a hack that that can force the system to prompt the "Switch User" button even
    in a Workgroup machine.

4. Animeniac

Animeniac MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    I wonder if this will help you. If it works, you'll have to type both user name and pass every time you log in. Run -> gpedit.msc -> computer config -> windows settings -> security settings -> local policies -> security options -> find "interactive logon: do not display last user name" and set it to enabled. Then run gpupdate /force. You shouldn't have to reboot for it to take effect.

5. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    try hitting Ctrl Alt Del 2 times at the login prompt I think that brings up everybody

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. secr9tos

secr9tos MDL Addicted

Jul 28, 2009
    That's the way I'm doing it...

7. erdegan

erdegan MDL Novice

Oct 22, 2009
    Thanks, but it doesn't work. In a workgroup computer Ctrl-Alt-Del hit twice brings up nothing.
    And if I set the "do not display last user name" polcy I get only a prompt for entering username
    and password at the login screen. That might be a soluton for me, because I can choose
    which administrative account to use for logging in, however it makes all other users unhappy
    because they have to type both credentials every time.

The challenge of the game is how to force the system to bring up the prompt for username
    and password in a situation where all non hidden users icons are shown in the login screen.

The "switch user" button of the login screen has a different behaviour depending of whether the
    computer is part of a domain or connected to a workgroup. In the first case brings up the
    credentials prompt, in the second case it brings up the login screen with all users icon.

Is there a way to control or change the behaviour of the "switch user" button ???

8. Animeniac

Animeniac MDL Novice

Dec 19, 2008
    #8 Animeniac, Jan 17, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    After some research, and installing Windows 7 to a spare drive to tweak with it, Microsoft unfortunately felt that it would be a good idea to not include that feature (ctrl-alt-del x2) in Windows 7 :mad:. Hopefully someone with a bit more knowledge will find a fix or maybe Microsoft will re-add it in sp1, but that's wishful thinking.
    You only have two options to log into hidden accounts. Unhide the account or enable "do not display last user name" in Security Options.

9. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    turn off UAC, Take full ownership of the C drive from TrustedInstaller then you don't have to worry about having to use the local admin account.

10. conax1w

conax1w MDL Novice

Jan 20, 2010
    Thanks a lot Animeniac, i was having problems with this and your post worked great ,:worthy::D:biggrin:

11. jcallenj

jcallenj MDL Novice

Mar 1, 2012
    #11 jcallenj, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
    Workaround: Get domain style logon on a workgroup computer.

For the benefit of any who may come across this old thread looking for this functionality in Windows 7...
    To get only last user + switch button (other user) logon on a workgroup computer - add:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\DomainStyleLogon]

All registry warnings apply. The name "DomainStyleLogon" doesn't seem to matter - just that there is an empty key under ProfileList. I found the thread:
    [I was going to paste a link, but am not allowed to yet - it is currently the top result if you Google "Windows 7 show user list on login screen".]
    where a user reported as a problem this behavior which I was actually looking for. So I reversed the fix offered there by KindBullet and it seems to work. I'm not saying I recommend this - intentionally using what seems to be a bug, and may be "fixed" in the future - but it does seem to be working fine for me without other side effects.