Run As dialog

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by Dosvader, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Dosvader

Dosvader MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2008
    I run windows XP. 2-3 weeks ago I began receiving notification of a "Run As" dialog box with no indication of what software I was being asked to run. Assuming it to be a virus or malware I did not run it but canceled. They (sometimes more than one) show up at indeterminate times. I run Sophos AV and Max Secure spyware. All show up with no problems. I then uninstalled Sophos and installed Trend Micro. This showed up some issues. None according to online look ups that could cause this. Looking on line I have found no connection to virus and Malware and this dialog box. Currently I am thinking that perhaps some logging software may help to determine what software or whatever is bringing up this box. Suggestions or has anyone heard of this?

Attached Files:

2. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    You should only see this box if your loged in as a user without Admin permissions on XP (the way everyone should be using any OS).

If your using an Admin account, something has given itself high permissions than you.

If you using a non-admin account, check to see if anyone (Admin) has installed new software.

3. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #3 HMonk, Dec 26, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2017
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Dosvader

Dosvader MDL Novice

Dec 26, 2008
    That reminds me: a reboot did occur after which I found a second administrator account. I went in under my usual name (also an admin account and deleted all of the other ones. Never seen that happen before.

I havenow ran Glary Utilities to clean up the registry and haven't had anything since. Perhaps it was something screwed up there.

Rd

5. NotANewbie

NotANewbie MDL Novice

Jan 1, 2009
    Run As dialog box - again

I'm also on XP (as admin) and ran into this Run As dialog box problem a couple of weeks ago after downloading some trial games from MSN.COM. I've used various versions of Windows for years and have never seen such a thing.

At first it would only come up during a game - usually 2-4 times in a row. Yesterday (12/31/08) it came up in an Outlook session when no game was loaded.

Looking for a solution. Seems like malware to me.