Run program as service in Server 2012

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by zeniitti, Feb 21, 2013.

1. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    I have Windows Server 2012 Standard and I have this temperature logging software (Logtemp [mrsoft.fi/ohj01en.htm]) running on it. After every reboot I have to manually login to the server and start logging. Is there ane decent way to run softwares as service? I know that there are some not free software, but can't remember the names. And actually I'm looking for free solution. In the past I saw that when the progmram was running background as service (anyservice or so) I was not able to bring the program window to desktop although it was running.

2. Tito

Tito Super Mod / Adviser
    Staff Member

Nov 30, 2009
  3. venu

venu MDL Addicted

Oct 16, 2009
    Theres srvany as well. I use it for quiethdd on one of the noisier hard drives.

4. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    ServiceEx worked as I thought even it had option to use desktop interface. I just can't bring background program up front. It opens the service correctly, but that's it.

IMG hxxp:// i.imgur.com/sERgiqH.jpg

I have not tested other programs yet. I just think that those will behave the very same wrong way.

5. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Thanks, but I'm looking for free alternative. Maybe there just ain't one.

6. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    One from Tito is free

7. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Please point me to the program which has same capabilities with my native language. I'm looking forward to hear it.
    Please tell me more.

8. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    My native language is Finnish and I can assure that there are no other software with that kind of capabitilies. Actually there are only a few Windows based logging software for 1-wire network even in any language.

Sebus told that Tito is free (One from Tito is free). I would like to hear more about that.

Or maybe I just use Hyper-V (never used that before) to install for example XP or Win7 for my remote desktop needs. Nowadays I use Server 2012 desktop for my remote desktop needs. And I just have to live with tha fact that I can't bring that process up without AlwaysUp (that was the software that I was wondering about before You named it ;) )

My need might sound complicated but it really is not. It would be better if people just don't even start to figure out this more :D Just offtopic, can I install XP/7 as separate OS to Server 2012 Hyper-V and remote connect to it? Is the guest OS "service" as well? Formerly I used some version of vmware.

9. zeniitti

zeniitti MDL Novice

Jan 12, 2012
    Okey, I had really no idea that Tito is a username. I thought that it's some kind of application :D
    I might test alwaysup and see if that's any good.

Maybe I use vmware for my remote needs. Which should be kind of separate system from Server 2012. Which is always available if Server 2012 is just powered on.

10. mattjonesits

mattjonesits MDL Novice

Apr 11, 2013
    Yup - go with alwaysup!