Running Vista 64 bit. Love it but.....

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by RAMWolff, Nov 2, 2008.

1. RAMWolff

RAMWolff MDL Novice

Nov 2, 2008
    Hiya,

I've tried my very best to get some of my shell commands working as they did in XP and do work in Vista 32 bit (my laptop) but on Vista 64 bit... not many of them work. Is there a registry hack or something that I can do to get some of my favorites back up and running??

Also, can someone tell what the heck the deal is with the transparency is in the folders and desktop? You click in a blank area around the icon and it's still selecting the darned icon. Makes it really a PITA to drag and select groupings of icons to move them around quickly. Didn't have this issue in XP Pro at all. :mad:

Is there an easy way to access the New menu in the right click menu? I want to remove some of those items and add others since so many of my shell commands are missing (like OpenExpert or OpenWith programs).

OK, that's all for now. Thanks and hope someone can help!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. vistadude

vistadude MDL Member

Oct 7, 2008
    You may want to change your explorer view to tiles or details. It should make drag and dropping much easier and similar to windows xp. Also, in windows explorer, press the alt button on your keyboard and choose tools, options, click the view tab, and select "always show menus." This should show the hidden file menu.

For transparency, move your mouse pointer over an icon on the desktop. You'll notice a box will appear when you get close to the icon. As long as you click anywhere without a box, it won't right click that file.

As for shell commands, I think there is a program to add commands but I completely forgot the name. For open with, I know that this command is in the right click menu, but it's near the top. In XP, i know it was in the middle and was looking for that in vista and completely missed the top.

By the way, in vista it's much easier to open programs. Rather than hunting through a large start menu, just press the windows key on your keyboard and type the first few letters of the program and hit enter. It really does save a lot of time.

3. juzz

juzz MDL Member

Jun 28, 2008
  4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #4 urie, Nov 3, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    try this reg entry this is just a snapshot or registy changes that i did
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Shell\Bags\AllFolders\Shell]
    "FolderType"="NotSpecified"

5. Drexl

Drexl MDL Junior Member

Aug 9, 2007
    As Juzz said, the shell commands issue could have something to do with the folders used. Vista 64 puts only 64-bit programs in the Program Files folder, while 32-bit programs (likely the vast majority of your installed apps) is in the Program Files (x86) folder. I guess Vista 32 also uses Program Files for everything, so if your commands are pointing there it's the wrong place.