Samsung battery draining so fast

Discussion in 'Mobile and Portable' started by revlor, Mar 8, 2020.

1. revlor

revlor MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2020
    #1 revlor, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Hi,

i have been facing a problem with my samsung S7 Edge battery for a while, it drains so fast whithout being using it and it is starting to bother me as the phone is just 1 year old.

For example, the battery is left at 80 % on night and when i wake up i find the batery at 40%. All unnecessary options are disabled (wifi, 4g, bluetooth, low brightness......) and still the battery drains so fast.

What does it mean ?

is the battery dying ? and how can i fix this ?

2. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Any lithium-ion battery (battery) will lose about 24% of its capacity within 3 months and again about 24% of its capacity what it has at the start of this period within the next three months. In one year, it has lost about 64% -74% of the capacity, what it had at the time of release.
    So the answer is - this lithium-ion battery is mostly dead and needs to be replaced.
    But remember, it doesn't matter how many hours the battery has been used, but when it was released. So, when you replace it, see when it was released from the factory. This is very important.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. revlor

revlor MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2020
    i want to be sure that the battery is faulty before buying another one. i don't want to invest on another battery for nothing.
    so how can i be sure that my battery is about to die or not ?
    i already did a lot of supposed tips that i found on multiple sites and which pretend to fix this problem including calibrate battery but it didn't help, the battery still drains very fast without any use.

4. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    How many apps do you have? Are many of them free? The free ones run crap in the background, advertising etc. and are constantly using the internet or trying. This could be a problem.

6. revlor

revlor MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2020
    i constantly close apps that are running in the background and i said in the first post that the battery drains fast without using the internet.

7. boyonthebus

boyonthebus MDL Expert

Sep 16, 2018
    Yea I know, but these apps aren't really all the way closed, and if they are trying to access the internet it is still a drain. I am just suggesting you check what apps you have. The free ones are bastards for the battery.

8. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015
    My bought my son a Huawei MediaPad T3-7. No problems for about 9 months. Full charge at night by morning about 50%. Tried turning everything off but no change. I turn OFF the Tablet at night when I charge. In the morning it is 96%. This shows the battery is good. During the day the tablet will last him about 6 hours of playing games and YouTube. I finally got him a new cell phone.

9. ipx

ipx MDL Addicted

May 24, 2017
    #11 ipx, Mar 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2022

10. after catching up with all your replies i am sure that your battery is faulty . replace it with new genuine one . be sure to cross check manufacture date ie 2020 as its most important.

11. revlor

revlor MDL Novice

Mar 4, 2020
    How can you be 100% sure that the battery is faulty ?
    Again i don't want to pay for something which we're not sure if it is causing the problem and get with new battery at the end which will not be necessarely needed.
    I heard that this draining battery problem can come from recent android update. That's what i could read from different android sites.
    So i need to be sure about the origin of the problem before i decide what to do.

12. frogs2b

frogs2b MDL Junior Member

Nov 25, 2015

Turn off the phone at night. Charge. When full disconnect. In the morning turn on the phone. If the battery is at 40% the battery is bad.

13. sml156

sml156 MDL Member

Sep 8, 2009
    #15 sml156, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  14. kwanice

kwanice MDL Novice

Jul 29, 2015
    you can try also to use dev option, to limit the number of app in background

15. nXp

nXp MDL Novice

May 25, 2019
    image your phone and check if power-management file has been tampered with in _EDL folder, thoose are backup-files for emergency restore. if u see changes (every folder should have same date from first relase of s7)
    seen this on several samsungs, strt draining battery, unstable radio and cutting int.mic on calls. its how samsung do business, trottle and tampering with software, they doo it on tvs too. only evidence is that unexplained upgrade to edl folder on phone.... to fix, root, install lineage os.

16. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    @nXp
    I wonder who your recommendations are for.
    The question was asked almost two years ago, and even then, according to the questioner, the 3600mAh battery (which is too little to use such a phone on a regular basis) was more than a year old, meaning it was completely obsolete and probably had about 30% or less of its original capacity. Any phone, laptop, or tablet battery that is more than a year old from the date of issue is old and has about 25-35% of its original capacity, so don't expect it to still work as it did when you first got it. The normal life of a Li-ion battery is about 1 year and then it needs to be replaced because its actual capacity (residual value) is about 25-30%. And keep in mind that there is no way you can extend this life, you can only shorten it when used in the wrong conditions.

17. CaptainKirk1966

CaptainKirk1966 Former MDL Guru

Oct 31, 2009
    I guess we all should hold off on buying electric cars, if the normal life of a Li-ion battery is only about 1 year. ;)

18. case-sensitive

case-sensitive MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2013
    Just a thought

I dont have a dildo phone but if i did and it didnt do what i want ............ i would go to one of the hundreds of small internet / telephone shops / kiosks in my area ......... and ask them if they can test the battery / the phone .

Another thing a person could do is to go to an elctrro market .........,.,. and ask them . Where i am we have a shop called Conrad ......... and the staff are all very friendly and helpfull and have a lot of technical experience .