Samsung Galaxy Book S 8CX Qualcomm

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by darkhalf, Nov 6, 2021.

1. darkhalf

darkhalf MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Hi all

Recently came into possession of a Samsung Galaxy Book S, the 8CX Qualcomm model and would like to install Windows 11 on to it.

I'm having a few issues and was hoping for some guidance, I've downloaded the latest Windows 11 ARM ISO from the Microsoft Service Center and created a bootable USB using Rufus.

No matter what I do I cannot get to the Windows setup screen, the laptop recognises the bootable media. It begins to boot as you can see the Linux like UEFI boot sequence. It goes as far as the Samsung logo with the white rotating circular icon and freezes, it then reboots and boots from the internal SSD.

I've tried two different USB drives, 2 and 3 as well as different USB-USB-C adaptors.

Is this an issue specific to the ARM version of Windows?

Thanks in advance.

2. kaw202

kaw202 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2013
    You need to add the divers to index 1 and 2 of boot.wim and whatever version of windows you'll be installing in the install.wim
    They are not published so you'll need to export them from the OEM running system or a recovery key if you created one.
    I was able to get windows 11 EDU installed on a snapdragon 7c Gen2 Galaxy Book GO this way and activate with HWID. The scrips failed but it can be done fallowing the manual instructions on the massgravel github.

3. darkhalf

darkhalf MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Thank you for the quick reply! Do you recommend a specific tool for editing the boot.wim and install.wim files? It's not something I've done before outside of using MDT at work. I have had a little more progress today, I decided to buy a USB-C memory stick. I used the ARM version of Rufus and created a bootable Windows 11 drive. I booted the Galaxy Books S and where as before it froze and rebooted, this time it display a Windows 11 BSOD stating there was a storage_miniport_error which I can't say I've ever seen before in this situation.

4. kaw202

kaw202 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2013
  5. darkhalf

darkhalf MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    @kaw202

Fantastic, very clear instructions which looks pretty straight forward! Thank you so much for your help

6. kaw202

kaw202 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2013
    No problem, check back in and let me know how it goes.
    I have been bouncing around to every arm64 image I could find on the Volume license portal or uupdump.

7. darkhalf

darkhalf MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    So, I followed the instructions to the letter...I was able to create the USB drive just fine, however when I booted the Galaxy Book S it blue screened with a STORAGE_MINIPORT_ERROR

I've found another thread online which has been translated from German, it was very similar to your instructions which I will give a try.

8. kaw202

kaw202 MDL Novice

Nov 8, 2013
    Hopefully those instructions work for you. If you do get it working make a post please not a lot of people working on windows ARM right now. I have been walking a few other people through installs on reddit and I would like to share whatever info I can get. A blue screen on install is usually a problem with boot.wim. Assuming you added the drivers to both index one and two of the file maybe something is bugged with the initial iso or driver export. I would suggest exporting 4 copies of the drivers. twice using DISM and twice using powershell. It is probably overkill but there is no way back for arm as vendors don't give us any help. Also, if you got the installer from uupdump I would try to build another only targeting Pro and to upgrade/Downgrade as needed. If you have access to the Volume license portal maybe try windows 10/11 enterprise.

9. darkhalf

darkhalf MDL Novice

Oct 27, 2010
    Well, thanks to the combination of your help and another forum I got it working last night. I've made a copy of all the commands I used and will definitely share the information here.

Thank you so much for your help, you've been a lifesaver.

I'll compile the instructions and post them shortly.

10. eeneecha

eeneecha MDL Novice

Feb 16, 2022
    Hi. Are you still planning to post some info on how you installed your OS? Because mine just came up with a BCD error on Windows 10 that came with the device and BCD repair commands are not working.