Sata Controller Driver missing form Wndows 8 for Acer Aspire 5920g

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by NikosGr, Jan 1, 2013.

1. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    I understanded ALL posts very clear. Maybe its you that doesn;t understand what iam trying to do:

I'am trying to install Win8 without:

a) BIOS Update
    b) Downloading the latest F6 Sata Controller Driver from Intel.

and, you didnt answer me:

What makes you think that a BIOS Update would help Win8 Installation USB to be able to identify the Sata Controller correctly, which it does not with my current BIOS?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. e_sentinel

e_sentinel MDL Novice

Mar 3, 2009
    If Vista setup disk could recognized your hard disk, 8 setup disk should have no problem doing so either and it supposed to be more flexible.

Currently, I'm on an old rig setup (2008), most of the hardware inside my rig only supported up to Vista. BIOS version was released early 2011, that's the most current and I think there will be no more updates after this as that rig is an obsolete piece of hardware. But ... I just took 10 minutes to setup 8 without a single hiccup.

As far as I know, 5920G was released in mid 2007 and if the BIOS never been updated before, doing so will makes 5920G not supporting the newest whatever driver or something new inside the 8 setup.

The advise from MDLs seniors to you are pretty much appropriate. Please consider to doing so and be careful when doing something related to the BIOS.

Another thing is ... Make sure the ISO you had is the untouched version, compare and verify the ISO checksum, use a proper tool to extract the ISO into the USB disk and ... hope you succeed.

3. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    A computer Novice would know what a BIOS is doing and that a BIOS sometimes need to be updated. But that's something which is maybe not to understand for an classic and well educated greek fellow!

As the 5920 is a quite old machine, the BIOS may is outdated!

As you didn't like to update your machine, keep using what is possible and stop bothering us with continuous question for help because you're not interested to follow an advice!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #24 NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    That sounds a logical thing to assume but practise shows it doesn't work as expected in theory.
    Vista Setup HAS NO problem identifying the hdd (in the current not BIOS updated version)
    Windows 7 HAS NO problem identifying the hdd (in the current not BIOS updated version)
    Win8 Setup HAS problem identifying the hdd (in the current not BIOS updatedversion)

I'am not sure i'am following you on this.
    Why after BIOS Update we expect Win8 Setup to correctly identify the HDD Sata Controller which it doesn't auto-detect now?
    What the BIOS will do that will make Win8 Setup help identify the HDD?

And why Vista Setup has no problem identifying the HDD Sata Controller as it is now without the need of updating it?

I'am using the latest Win8 ISO (nLite) that has slipstreamed 4 x32 version of Win8 and 4 x64 versions too.
    But the slipstremed versions are UNTOUCHED.
    Any laptop i uses so far to install Win8 had no problem installing 8 only this Acer Aspire 5920g laptop does.

The ISO is extracted and insertint to the usb key via Rufus USB Tool.

5. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #25 NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    You dont know WHY what you are suggesting works which is why you are clearly avoid answering what i have asked.
    I'am not ignoring anything, you just dont want to bother learning other ways to install Win8 without the BIOS update solution which you like so much.
    It would be nice to stop answering me since you dont care to learn anything new.

6. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Since iam a stupid greek fellow and perhaps a retarded one you might want to explain to me and the rest of us

WHY the BIOS needs to be updated so for Win8 Setup to identify the Sata HDD controller and why Vista and Win7 doesn't require this action in order to display the hdd info correctly.

Also explain us HOW the BIOS help Win8 Setup correctly identify the missing hdd info.

This must be an easy task for you to explain since a computer Novice understand these things which i cannot. You are the expert here.

7. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    To most of the members of MDL is no need to explain what and how a BIOS id working for! MDL is well known for to be specialized for for BIOS Mods!

For to explain to an person who isn't interested to take any advice, din't read the post and ignoring everything which didn't conforms with his own thinking, it's useless in any means even to try to explain anything!

There some websites which explains very clear everything about an computer BIOS and those websites are called Wikipedia's! Go to those websites and start get the knowledge about everything about BIOS's!

If you're not stupid, you would find all the answers you're asking fir inside the post's of this thread!

And I also would suggest that you stop trolling because that is what you're really doing!

8. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    The BIOS solution would most likely work and i agree and ia not ignoring it.

Now tell me:

WHY the BIOS needs to be updated so for Win8 Setup to identify the Sata HDD controller
    and why Vista and Win7 doesn't require this action(Bios Update) in order to display the hdd info correctly.

Also explain us HOW the BIOS Update would help Win8 Setup correctly identify the missing hdd info.

9. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012

I'am not trolling iam just interesting to see HOW things work. If this is a trolling action then i guess you can call me like that.

Also i dont want to know everyting about a BIOS does, just the following two things:

The BIOS solution would most likely work and i agree and ia not ignoring it.

a) WHY the BIOS needs to be updated so for Win8 Setup to identify the Sata HDD controller
    and why Vista and Win7 doesn't require this action(Bios Update) in order to display the hdd info correctly.

b) HOW the BIOS Update would help Win8 Setup correctly identify the missing hdd info.
    Why the current un-updated BIOS can't give that info to Win8
    or perhaps why Win8 cant use the Bios features to corecctly identify the HDD partitoning info.

10. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #30 LatinMcG, Jan 3, 2013
    for the hardheaded greek.
    bios contians OP roms which need some fixes .. your is older and acpi (or something to that nature) isnt working with win8..
    did u understand any of that ? NO

example.. " i bought SSD and its not working. can anyone fix the bios or should i keep plain hdd?.. ohh wait i checked manufacturer and they released a bios that fixes SSD issue!"

3 pages just to tel u to update bios ?

i got a feeling u going to have a headache with win8 after u install it.

11. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #31 NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)

No i didnt because i dont know what an OP Rom and what an ACPI feature are.(This is all greek to me :)

How come Vista and Win7 identify the HDD partitioning info(witout Bios update) and only Win8 doesnt?
    Win8 should be more flexible and identify more stuff than its predessors do.

12. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  13. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #33 NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    Problem solved but i'am not sure how this happened.

It was nice to see though that:

a) No Bios update needed
    b) No Intel F6 Sata controller drivers needed to be downloaded.

Scenario 1:
    -----------
    I Boot From Vista DVD
    When HDD being presented i delete partion and i leve a big unallocated space
    i Remove the Vista USB and i insert the Windows 8 USB
    Copy begins and all fiels successfully expanded.
    When 5920g get sits 1st restart a BCD error popup mentioning that Boot Configuration Data is invalid or missing.

I was so happy that 8 files were copied successfully and expanded to the drive but boot fails. Why?

Scenario 2:
    -----------
    I started the install with Vista Setup for to see the hdd, when i switched usbs from vista => 8 then Vista setup should have been complained about this and not start copying and expanding files giving me the impression that it will manage to install 8.
    I wonder why it didnt do that.

Scenario 2:
    I installed Vista
    Rebooted, pressed F8 and selectted "Start in Safe Mode with CMD support"
    Inserted Windows 8 USB and then initiated the Windows 8 setup process
    It displayed the HDD ppartitioning info but a message bottom down in status told me that i can only see it and not re-partition it.
    i selectet the unallocated space hit enter and Windows 8 copying started.
    In the next Boot it gave me Boot Configuration Data missing or invalid.

Why? THIS TIME the Windows 8 setup process started from the Windows 8 Setup and not within Vista Setup.
    Why not boot correctly this time?

Scenario 3:
    -----------
    After ALL the above steps i booted again from within tha Win8 USB Setup and this time partitions were detected and presented.
    I clicked on unallocated space, files copied and re-booted Ok, Win8 Started FINALLY.

HOW ON EARTH THIS TIME Win8 Setup identified the HDD which up until now it couldn't detect?

Th job is done without the need of the following:

a) No Bios update needed
    b) No Intel F6 Sata controller drivers needed to be downloaded.

14. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
  15. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    strange that it has bcd isues.
    i usualy delete all partitions and install fresh. i think your win8 slipstream is buggy

16. pisthai

pisthai Imperfect Human

Jul 29, 2009
    :worthy::worthy: That seems to be just true!:D:rofl6:

17. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    #37 NikosGr, Jan 3, 2013
    (OP)
    Same thing happend to a completely UNTOUCHED Win8 Pro 64bit version from MSDN.
    The SlipStream is not Buggy.

I just need an answer especially to the last case scanario and an answer from you and not from the dual core headed morons that their only contribution to the thread several posts up until now is to talk down.

p.s:1 I forgot to mention that in all 3 cases above the Setup didn't told me when i hit enter in the unallocated sbpace that Win8 Setup must create apart from the Win8 OS partiton a 350MB system reserved partition. This is maybe relevant here concering the BCD invalid or missing display screen.

p.s:2 In SCENARIO 2: I maybe Booted into Vista's safe cmd mode but when iam initiating a Windows 8 Setup...then Windows 8 pre installation enviroment takes place.
    Is it because Win8 Setup is a child process derived from Vista itself that's why it wont allow me to partition it?

18. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    did u ever check bios version in your board ? only 1 at the support site.

and yes the reserved partition is for bcd folder boot.

u can just use easybcd to fix it once u booted.

19. NikosGr

NikosGr MDL Member

Sep 3, 2012
    Scenario 3:
    -----------
    After ALL the above steps i booted again from within the Win8 USB Setup and this time partitions were detected and presented.
    I clicked on unallocated space, files copied and re-booted OK, Win8 Started FINALLY.

HOW ON EARTH THIS TIME Win8 Setup identified the HDD which up until now it couldn't detect?

Same USB, same slipsteamed image, same BIOS.

The job got done without extra drivers and without BIOS upate but still leave blanks.
    After ALL this hassle it would be nice to know why it finally worked (I can use the same trick other times in other old machines too).

20. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #40 LatinMcG, Jan 3, 2013