Screensaver and Monitor

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by gallicbear, Nov 20, 2009.

1. gallicbear

gallicbear MDL Novice

Nov 17, 2009
    Hi there. Have been noticing that my monitor doesn't turn itself off after the specific time set in the power management. The screen saver continues to be active through the night. If it were just one system, I'd understand. But the one I use at work runs XP also, and it has been doing the same thing for the last two weeks. Different screen savers, different monitors. Could it be that it has to do with SP3 and a specific update level? Last one was on 11/11/09, KB969947. Any ideas? Thanks.

2. WinFLP

WinFLP MDL Senior Member

Nov 18, 2009
    Try unpluggging your mouse (PS/2 mice aren't supposed to be hotswapped)

Some optical mice may have tracking errors and erroneously think the mouse has been moved a couple pixels. The screensaver has a tolerance in the registry about how many pixels the mouse has to be moved to deactivate the screensaver. There's no such tolerance for powering off the monitor. Move one pixel and it will turn back on.

3. feappyunupS

feappyunupS MDL Novice

Dec 16, 2009
    please can anyone help the screensaver wont activate in vista basic on dell vostro laptop
    it was working before,it should come on after 5 min, have
    tried all the screen savers and as soon as i try to preview them they go on for a second and then go off i dont have any wireless devices connected i did have a keyboard and mouse but uninstalled them and went back to the usb wired ones

ive tried getting the screen savers to work by leaving on the Microsoft HID Non-User Input Data Filter update and turning it off it uninstalled when i got rid of mouse and keyboard, i tried disabling the touchpad,
    i disabled the hid thing in services msc, i also tried just using the turn off display in power options but that doesnt work either, i even tried reenabling everything in windows features, and i tried rolling back the graphics card driver,but none of these things work

i am totally at a loss because the screen just stays on so i have to just shut down and restart the pc everytime i want to use it and this always brings up problems with modem and so on i also read somewhere that Dell Media Experience, Power DVD and ehtray.exe cause problems but i have none of these running at startup. sorry this is so long but its really driving me crazy. can anybody shed any light on this? any help would be greatly appreciated

frustrated vista user

4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
    "frustrated vista user", asking vista questions, in the XP forum.....probably not going to get the answer you want...clutters up the threads

We have a Vista forum...please go there for this question...housekeeping you know...:D:D

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...