script error

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by darkgohan, Jan 23, 2009.

1. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    WXp pro ie 7,and mozzilla firefox. When I type in services. msc I get Int Expl. script error . On that page there is these with nothing following each line. Line Char Error Code Url . If I continually hit the X this page closes and then the Services page comes thru,but is blank until I hit standard at the bottom of the page. As well when I go to system restore the page comes up but is blank,oh boy anyone got an answer for this :confused: T.Y dark...

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Help me understand

I posted this a while ago but when I checked back it had disappeared? :confused:

1. Are you saying that when you go to START>RUN and type services.msc you get an IE script error? Did you try START>CONTROL PANEL>ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS> where you will find SERVICES the last entry in the tool list?

2. And, are you saying that if you go to START>ALL PROGRAMS>ACCESSORIES>SYSTEM TOOLS>SYSTEM RESTORE instead of getting the intro page that asks you to choose between restoring to an earlier time or creating a restore point you get a blank page?

First off, IE script errors have to do with web-page loading: you will often see it as the "done but with errors on page" in the status bar, or in a debug dialog that pops up. So right off the bat, I am not familiar with IE script errors manifesting themselves if you are not using IE.

Secondly, it seems that you are having problems running Explorer (not Internet Explorer) pages - Explorer being Window's interface.

At this point I am not sure what is going on but my guess is that Explorer may have become corrupted - a common event in my experience.

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Hello,yes to your three questions! I am not real quick with this stuff,hoping a solution can be found here. TY:)

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Possible fix

1. Go to START>RUN type: regsvr32 jscript.dll>click OK. Then go back to RUN> type: regsvr32 vbscript.dll>click OK. If you do not get a message that the files are registered or if you get error message, post back.

2. What version of IE are you running?

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thank you both were successful, IE 7

6. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Resolved?

Is your system responding OK now or are you just saying that js and vb were registered but you still cannot RUN> services.msc?

Monk

7. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Sorry,no I can still not run those services. TY

8. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  9. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Sorry,how do I run this from a cmd prompt? I DL it,and found command prompt in accessories,but?? :confused:

10. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Running xp pro sp 3 No idea of what caused this as I do not recall anything I did new.TY

11. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    No problem . . .

Go to START>RUN> and type either - cmd - or - command - then hit OK. Either one works. Or you can do it via ACCESSORIES as you noticed.

Monk

12. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    You know,I still need your help as I have know idea how to put this thing I dl into the cmd. It is a small icon with an s in the middle and underneath it says olereg.vbs? TY

13. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Run as is

I was just being picky: it's not absolutely necessary to run from cmd prompt. You can just double click the file from wherever you saved it and it will run. Reboot when you get the dialog that says ole has been fixer (or words to that effect).

Depending on what antivirus or malware progs you have running, they might interrupt the script and ask you to OK registry changes being made. Allow the changes or, to avoid this, simply close any running such progs before you run the script.

Monk

14. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thank you that was easy,it worked just fine no problems as did #3,but neither resolved my problem. Where in my pc do I find IE 7 to uninstall it,and is there a procedure on what steps to remove and where to find the reinstall for IE 7.:)

15. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Hmmmm! Well I uninstalled IE7 and never reinstalled it,and the script error is gone and services.msc and system restore are there?? Do I need IE7, I do not know what it is for,as I use Mozzilla,which works at this time. :D

16. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Just for curiousity I clicked my IE symbol and I still have a working browser page,which says version 6,boy now I am confusced.As well my auto updates is asking me to install IE 7,appreciate your advice. TY

17. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Just a suggestion

First off, to run Win Update without added hassles, I always update with IE but that's about all I do with IE. The hassles? There are instances when you go to MS to DL a file/update/whatever, and you get an error message telling you you have to use IE. OK, use IE for those occasions. The update from 6 to 7, as far as I know, was primarily enhancements of Internet surfing capabilities. For example, like FF, IE7 added tabbed browsing.

As far as removing IE7, that was going to be my next suggestion.

IE is in add/remove, either as Internet Explorer or, more likely, Windows Internet Explorer (I have seen it as both). When you go to add/remove, Windows will let you roll back to IE6 but it will not let you delete IE altogether. So one fix involves rolling back to IE6 anticipating that IE7 was corrupted. Apparently, that is what your issue was.

Why get IE6 when you click on the IE7 icon? Most likely because the shortcut icon points to where IE is installed in Program Files: Internet Explorer - whether it is v. 6 or 7. You can right click the IE icon, then click PROPERTIES. Click on the SHORTCUT tab (usually already selected by default) and in the Target heading you will see the icon target: Root:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplorer.exe. In other words, clicking on the icon runs iexplorer.exe - regardless of the version of IE.

Now that you know the IE7 was corrupt and, now that you know how to effect a fix - by rolling back to IE6 - my suggestion is to let Win Update install IE7. DO NOT reinstall IE7 from a previous DL that you may have saved to disc. Why? Because you want a clean DL that, presumably, is not corrupted and will install properly. My guess is that IE7 will install and you will not experience the issues again. If you do, simply roll back to IE6 - which you know works - and all you will have lost is a bit of time seeing if a clean install of IE7 worked OK. Now, to me, it's not important to do this since you use Mozilla but I am a bit of a fanatic about these things in my machine (like hunting down that slight rattle in my truck) and my nature is such that I would try a clean install of IE7.

By all means, post back with any and all questions. One piece of advice: make regular image backups of your OS: I and others can help you with that if you have not developed this very important safety net.

Given that you say that you do not know much about computers, what you are doing now is the best way to learn; it's how I learned and, I dare say, how most people learn. You try something, your OS starts playing tricks on you or you start getting fascinating error messages (one of my favorites is an aborted boot because "NTLDR is missing," and you ask yourself, "What the hell is NTLDR." A regularly updated image backup is there to revert you to a previous, normally functioning OS. For example, just before I start applying major tweaks to my OS, I run an image backup. If the tweak ends up pillaging and raping my OS, no problem: restore the pre-tweak image. Same holds true for applying seemingly harmless updates from Win Update. I used to have an NVIDIA graphics card that Win Update insisted needed an updated driver. OK, I updated and then could not get past winlogon. Which is another way of saying that, when Win Update tells me I need a hardware (driver) update, I skip it's recommendation and, instead, go to the mfg's website and see if it has posted an update.

Long winded, but as I have mentioned before in this forum, Windows is a magnet for issues that just seem to crop up without an obvious reason - as in your case. So, an image backup next to your elbow provides peace of mind, if nothing else.

Monk

18. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thank you HMONK,your help is much appreciated!!I tried a fresh IE7 and everything that was the problem that initially brought me here returned?? So I removed again,and took version 6 updates and the problem is gone,hooray!! No idea why IE7 caused this ?? Yes I would like your help in creating a back up of my system,if you dont mind. TY

19. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    #19 urie, Jan 26, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    @ darkgohan, just got to run in start menu and type cmd that will bring up command window.

P.S. just noticed HMonk has allready told you how to do it

Code:
    Go to START>RUN> and type either - cmd - or - command - then hit OK. Either one works. Or you can do it via ACCESSORIES as you noticed.

20. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Pardon my ignorance but is this in reply to my query on how to back up my OS ? TY