script error

Discussion in 'Windows XP / Older OS' started by darkgohan, Jan 23, 2009.

1. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Update,persistence paid off was able to remove IBService,not exactly sure how
    i did it,but its gone from the registry and from services. Now for WLM!! T.Y

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Phew!

You are not pushing the limits. It's me: I am old and tired :eek: But, WE are getting there.

By the way, for future references, make notes of the various things you try as they can be used in other situations. Like sfc: lots of folks never heard of this dandy feature because it is not in any menu or programs list.

OK . . .WLM

WL Mail. If it runs OK by clicking on the mail icon in WL Messenger (once you logon), I guess one could say, "Fine! I'll start it that way and be done with it." If you wish to continue to investigate the issue there are some things you can try.

1. open Windows Task Manager (ctrl-alt-del), click on PROCESSES tab and see if any of the Windows Live modules are running. If so, terminate the process(es) [highlight the process and click on END PROCESS] and then try (via START>ALL PROGRAMS, etc) to start Windows Live Mail. If WL Mail starts, then,

2. go to msconfig (START>RUN>type msconfig)> and in the START UP tab, uncheck ANY/ALL Windows Live entry(ies). [Make a note of those entries; they will remain in the start up list and you can recheck them (cause them to automatically start on a boot) any time if you wish]. Reboot (removes any trace of those progs from the RAM if killing the processes did not entirely remove them) and then try to start WL Mail via START, etc (or a WL Mail shortcut icon) Should work if any of the above are true.

What's going on? One possibility is that WL Mail automatically starts and then checks your email and starts to DL them - all without opening. I am aware of situations such that, once WL Mail is DLing, you cannot do anything with it, especially if you are accessing webmail via IMAP.

If none of the above fixes the WL Mail issue, one thing you could do is to completely uninstall all of the Windows Live entries via Revo Uninstaller. Then reinstall it and see if the WL Mail issue persists.

IBService

If you have not installed it (it's not part of Windows) go to START>RUN>type services.msc (quickie way to open the services instead of ctrl panel). In the main window, navigate to IBService, double click it, and in the GENERAL tab (usually selected by default) in the middle of the dialog box notice START UP TYPE. Click on the down-arrow, select DISABLE>OK all the way out then reboot. Error should be gone. Apart from not getting error messages about IBService, you will not know its gone because the error message was telling you that it could not be started in the first place.

What you do depends on your nature. If you develop a workaround and you are happy with the results - and nothing else seems to be broken - you can leave it. If you are obsessive-compulsive like me, you'll tweak the blasted thing until it works the way it is supposed to.

Post back, post often. :rolleyes:

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thank you, not WL mail nor anyone of those W Lives will start up from all programs menu. after I ended process wlmail in taskmanager no diference.Looks like an uninstall,but will wait for the word from you following this post. IBService seems to be gone,no previous issues so far.Out of curiousity in the sys. config utility under start up,the selective start up is Checked,is this right? or should it be normal start up? There is also a windows installer which says stopped,just throwing stuff in here just in case! Sure glad your still on board with me.:)

4. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Where did you see Windows Installer: stopped? In system config utility under services. :)

6. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    I am impressed with your wealth of knowledge HMonk,really!! I enjoy trying these ideas of yours,very stimulating indeed. So then: Just for kicks, using Windows Live Mail as a control etc, as you suggested did not start wlmail from that shortcut either. So I will uninstall Windows Live completely (all the modules). and of course be back here with an update T.Y.;)

7. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #47 HMonk, Feb 3, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
    If at first you don't succeed . . . .

I believe in tenacity: there is a fix and I will find it! :mad:

My general approach is to start off with simple, well known, common sense cures. Sometimes these, a reinstall. e.g., can be a bit of a pain as you lose saved data or have to find where the prog stores its data, export it and then import it into your new install.

In my mind, the major hurdle to overcome is the idea that, since my machine is similar to yours, mine should operate the same as yours. As you know, however, there are so many differences, especially in our respective registries that there is no such thing as similar.

There is, of course, the ultimate cure (but not necessarily) of formatting the HDD and reinstalling everything. I view that as quitting, especially since it does not contribute to my understanding of the nuances of my system.

I believe that, apart from cooking your BIOS by an inappropriate mod, every issue has a cure. The question is, where do you draw the line between prudent, practical troubleshooting and a silly waste of resources (time, energy, money)? Each answers that question accordingly.

Monk

8. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Well so far everything is working perfectly HMonk,thank you. Took a look here as you suggest:[ Backup Strategy - not just solution] from your earlier post on this subject,gonna read a bit and you can bet I will be back asking questions,in a new topic post of course. Much obliged for every bit of your help,never would have got it on my own my friend. All the best dark....:)

9. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
  10. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Great stuff,more programs that I knew nothing about. Especially like the disk check. Also used the Free Window Registry Repair .I downloaded Acronis true Image Home 2009[cracked], but not sure what I need to do here or whether I need to purchase an external HD as some have advised.[been bragging to my friends about my online magician with P.C .s];)

11. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Image backup storage

Magic? Remember, Windows has an infinite number of magic tricks it can play on us,

What to do with image backups?

1. Best: put them on any removable device/media such that they are protected if you machine goes up in smoke - due to an overheated NVIDIA gfx card. :D Can be flash drive, USB HDD, DVDs (dual layer if you have a big files: cuts number of discs in half) For image files, I use combination of internal SATA HDDs and USB HDD. (Everything goes on the USB HDD); in addition, supercritical stuff goes on the DVDs (usually ordinary backups of critical data)

2. Better: put them on a second internal HDD. If your OS HDD crashes your stuff is safely stored on the second one.

3. Good: put them on a second PRIMARY partition on a single internal HDD. If you clobber your OS installation or, worse yet, your OS partition, the image is safe on the second partition. Of course, if the drive goes, then all the partitions go. For image and file recovery reasons, I suggest that a HDD have at least two primary partitions. Let's say you want to recover a directory ("folder," if you insist) that you inadvertently deleted. The sectors where the directory was/is will be read and the recovered data will be rewritten, i.e., it's not a matter of resetting file table attributes telling the OS that the once deleted file is no longer deleted. In the process of rewriting the data, the deleted data may be overwritten. If you have a second partition, you direct the recovery software to write the recovered data to it.

4. Marginal: if one drive, one partition, you have no choice but to put it there. This yields the least likely chance of restoring your image file.

I opt for two internal SATA HDDs (and/or an external land fill - my affectionate name for my 1TB USB HDD) and optical/flash media for that supercritical data that must accompany me to my grave. I dual boot (used to boot Win2000/XP; now I boot XP/Win7). I save the XP image on the Win7 HDD, and the Win7 image on the XP HDD. I save both image files on the USB HDD. My system is redundant, to be sure but I dislike a funky OS. My critical files are backed up daily and my OS images made before/after each change in the OS (add/remove/update/regclean/disc clean, etc) The added time to create the image files is far less than that needed to troubleshoot an OS to get it back to square one.

You can burn image files but this is really time consuming. If you want to minimize the number of discs, you can elect to compress the image to the max but this slows down the burn process. You can speed up the burn write but this introduces errors (I NEVER burn DVDs above 4X). And optical drives are slow compared to HDDs. Therefore, I only burn small volumes of very critical data to optical media.

In the least, create two primary partitions on your HDD - but DO NOT use Partition Magic to do so to an already partitioned HDD.

One other thing I do to minimize the size of image backups: on my HDDs I create small OS partitions. On my XP HDD, e.g., the OS and ALL progs are stored on a 40 GB primary partition. Nothing else goes on that partition. Presently, in addition to all of XP's stuff, I have 205 progs installed. The total installation is 25GB with 15GB free. My compressed image backups average 12-13GB. That data fits on two dual layer DVDs (8GB each) and comfortably on my internal HDDs (300/500GB). This, to me, is more efficient than doing image backups of an entire HDD, and saves me the time of creating specific backup jobs to backup specific directories/files, etc. I just click on the XP partition and hit start!

To each their own but create a system. Once you have a backup scheme in place you get peace of mind and eliminate a lot of headaches. Never forget, however, a Windows OS is a minion of the devil: it is designed to cause you to sin. These sins take the form of rabid cursing, spousal/pet abuse, poor job performance, creating scenarios that lead to compromised health and, in rare but documented incidents - murder. I may be able to work some magic but the devil can out do me every time! :eek:

Monk

12. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Hope your ready for another issue that showed up today.I was attempting to view a IMG JPG photo I had, and ___Rundll32.exe,unable to locate component.

Aslo this__ uxcore.dll was not found

And--error loading Windows Live Photogallery\wlxphoto viewer dll,the specified module could not be found,event viewer says installed correctly,however in event viewer system, it says the windows installer service entered the stopped state. Source -service control manager--event ID 7036,when I go to there support site there is no info available at all Did two reinstalls as well! ? Hope that from your past help,I have been able to provide you with more than I have in the past HMonk :)

13. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    #53 HMonk, Feb 6, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  14. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Oh boy!! I assume you meant to go to start -- run, and type in rundll32.exe hit enter,which I did,nothing appeared to happen? I read over the info on dlls,and tried the DUPS tool but dont see it anywhere in the temps where it says it dl too? So regarding the uxcore.dll,they were in the live programs as you stated,but I dl a new one for photogallery anyway,with no change.Still says [The application has failed to start because uxcore.dll was not found.:(

15. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Suspicious

First off, rundll32 runs in the bkg, automatically launching DLL files as they are called for. I was just explaining what it does; sorry I did not make that more clear. Also, as far as I know, DUPS will not work on an OS beyond Win2000.

As a general statement, I think we can assume that for whatever reason, since all of the necessary files are present (uxcore and rundll32) Windows Live and/or your OS are talking trash. When I say and/or, I mean that since rundll32 is a part of the OS and, since it is supposed to launch uxcore, maybe it's the OS that is corrupt. Or, maybe the fault lies with Windows Live; possibly the install registry settings were not correctly set for the Photo Gallery module.

Now, I am wondering. Given the recurrence of these and other problems, is it fair to start to look at the OS and say, "Gee, this puppy seems to be so funky so often that maybe I should reinstall it." Since you have reinstalled Windows Live, you can run CHKDSK via ROOT>right-click>PROPERTIES>TOOLS, etc (not via START>RUN) and then you can run sfc /scannow again. Do you reinstall WL/XP: one or the other; both?

Sad to say, all the rabbits in my hat escaped. :( It's the devil!

Monk

16. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Thanks Hmonk,tried the check disk and sfc scannow,no difference. :) Thanks also TassieToo,but really the best I can do is what u see here in these posts,just not up to snuff on this stuff.This is a great site with great people who are willing to help. Will look into the reformat option!!

17. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Providing you have your CD and your serial number, then the option I mentioned is worth a try. The website I posted runs you through the procedure. Just go through it slowly and you may be surprised by the results.:)

Ask HMonk for his opinion as he certainly knows what he is doing.

18. darkgohan

darkgohan MDL Novice

Jan 23, 2009
    Yes I have my original xp cd with sp 2,but my present set up has sp3, I have no idea where to look for my serial number.Took a look at the bios info and how to set bios to boot from cd,but not sure with this idea,will let it sit for a day and take another look t/morrow. Also saw some posts about it not working for every cd. Confusing for sure. TY:confused:

19. TassieToo

TassieToo MDL Member

Nov 11, 2008