Script to Take Ownership and Grant Full Control

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by admin, May 24, 2007.

1. BlackberryBlake

BlackberryBlake MDL Novice

Oct 7, 2009
    when i open takecontrolof the command prompt opens, runs a bunch of lines and then disappears. I assume this means it isn't working?

2. ShaunL

ShaunL MDL Novice

Oct 15, 2009
    Sorry to post in such an old thread, however I am having some problems.

First, I have installed the .reg that I downloaded from page 1 of this thread. When I right click on files, it does appear in the menu, and it does appear to work. HOWEVER, it does not show up on the file that I need to take ownership on. The file is an .exe -- does that make a difference? I tested to see if it would appear on other .exe files and it does not.

I tried doing it manually in cmd (running cmd as an administrator):

I used quotations because there are spaces in my directory.

Once again, this works for all the files EXCEPT the one I need to take ownership of (says success for all other files)

and
    Please help!

3. baracuda81

baracuda81 MDL Novice

Nov 19, 2009
    Awesome. i erased all windows 7 system files. It works perfectly :)
    thanks

4. urie

urie Moderator
    Staff Member

May 21, 2007
    Kewl So i take it you are posting this from a Linux machine. If you had erased all windows 7 system files, then you computer wouldn't boot into windows.:D

5. sashafroyland

sashafroyland MDL Novice

Jan 25, 2010
    Thanks Zephans. Works on Windows Server 2008 R2.

6. arxakoulini

arxakoulini MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2010
    it works fine.once you run it you go you file right click an then take ownership

7. arxakoulini

arxakoulini MDL Novice

Apr 15, 2010
    i have take ownership of my explorerframe file but wihen i try to repace it says that the file or folder is in use! whats going on?

8. kelso26

kelso26 MDL Novice

Jul 17, 2010
    I have the same problem. I am using Windows 7 Traditional Chinese Version.
    I downloaded the TakeControlOf.zip file, and unzip it. It shows a non-attribute TakeControlOf file. No attribute. Just a "TakeControlOf" file... not TakeControlOf.cmd or TakeControlOf.reg file. So I opened it with notepad. It shows mojibake which contains ???? and Chinese unknown words ( I don't know the words ) and some English characters.

like this
    PK  l
    ?v8?: ;  TakeControlOf.cmd+I姖?柎羍SP5T?R羍Q其樀LNL? ?%?($虫f熰?%[?? PK   l
    ?v8?: ;   TakeControlOf.cmdPK   ? i

So when I run TakeControlOf.cmd (I put ".cmd" for TakeControlOf file), it didn't work.

Then I downloaded TakeOwnership.zip file, and unzip it. Again. It is a non-attribute file. But since some people said they use it with regedit.exe, I set the TakeOwnership file to TakeOwnership.reg file, and then open regedit.exe and tried to import the TakeOwnership.reg file. It didn't work, neither. My regedit.exe showed the file is not a reg file. So I opened TakeOwnership.reg with notepad. It is also mojibake.

like this
    PK  ? ?蠂€ ?  RemoveTakeOwnership.reg??Q蛞覓d???"MB?f?i^窣募??楑?@??5 ?v57"?L?a?]4駌WmZ_歞2a糑-9#f Y枚踧0W+2:箸"顒2預?儅葶?EI生?PK  L?X'氄? ?  InstallTakeOwnership.reg?Ak駿?zp瞴?P?孕#Yv?-i#?V?沷稑?瘨?} ?|X?<??I揇鶾??+羜<_順炊aVi??焞??痺n濏?滓#?D?(筍k驛@硉橍_ BC錉\?6 勷A"礣@Z?l?(S齔T/糢*Z3>哢v鞈J'??a?D嬌磬R? PK   ? ?蠂€ ?  RemoveTakeOwnership.regPK   L?X'氄? ?   ? InstallTakeOwnership.regPK   ? ?

My problem is.. I try to share a folder with another PC. And I already set the shared user's rights to "read and write". I can put files in the folder and change the folder, although it's "read-only" folder. But when the shared user tried to put files into the folder, it shows "Please check if the folder is protected". And when I uncheck the folder's read-only box, it returns to read-only everytime.

Could someone please help me to solve the problem? Or tell me how to let other PC connect to my PC and put files into my PC.

9. bjjom

bjjom MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2010
    Downloaded and I hope it able to solve my problem, will keep update.

10. lozeki

lozeki MDL Novice

Nov 6, 2010
    Thank Man!! Ya rure a biGGG Help^^ .

11. optu

optu MDL Novice

Feb 23, 2011
    Thank You!

I'm not sure who to thank for this script, but you saved me big time. I somehow lost the ownership to many of the sub-folders on my server. It appeared to be a very strange issue, since it only happened to a subset of folders. But unfortunately, we're talking thousands of folders. I ran the script on each parent folder and it worked liked a champ. I just wish I would have found this script earlier. I spent days adding back the ownership manually to each folder. I can't thank you enough. :)

12. fwefwef

fwefwef MDL Novice

Mar 19, 2011
    THANK YOU ;);):worthy:

13. radracer

radracer MDL Novice

Jun 10, 2011
    thank you, i hope this works and is what am looking for.

14. skmiller

skmiller MDL Novice

Jun 12, 2011
    I'm really lost--I have downloaded the TakeControlOf.zip, and I extracted the file. When I click on it, I get a command/run window that flashes on the screen for about two seconds. Then nothing.

I tried to download Windows Live Essentials--specifically wanting only the Photo/Movie app and the Writer app. For some reason, the following folder was installed, "Windows Live" in Program Files (x86). The folders inside of this folder are Companion,
    Contacts, Family Safety, Installer, Mail, Mesh, Messenger, Photo Gallery, RemoteActiveX, Shared,SOXE, Sync, Writer. I do not have permission to open any of these folders. When checking Properties, this is what I get:
    All except Family Safety show
    Size: 0 bytes
    Size on Disk: 0 Bytes
    Contains: 0 Files, 0 Folders

Family Safety shows
    Size: 7.56 MB
    Size on Disk: 7.58 MB
    Contains 12 Files, 1 Folders

I finally managed to uninstall Family Safety (It was the only thing that showed up in the Control Panel Programs and Features), which means that none of the folders inside the Windows Live folder contains anything. They are empty folders, but I can't delete or uninstall them. I figured the only way I'd be able to delete them would be if I could take ownership or control of them, but your program doesn't seem to do anything.

I also tried Windows Installer Cleanup and my registry cleaner to remove them. No luck.
    :confused:

When I try to install again, I seem to be a bit further than before, when nothing was happening, but the installation fails and I get this error message:
    Error: 0x80070643
    Source: WLXSuite

Don't know what that's all about. . . .

15. cyberdeck

cyberdeck MDL Novice

Sep 9, 2011
    I cannot make this work, it scrolls past and closes.

I cannot make this work, it scrolls past and closes.

How do you make it stop so you can actually use it?????????????????/

16. cfedd

cfedd MDL Novice

Feb 18, 2012
    Wow!!! I've been looking for hours to find something like this... Thought I'd have to resort to doing it manually and that was not fun. I had reinstalled windows and couldn't delete the old windows files.

I was getting "You need permission to perform this action." But I had administrative rights, I looked for different programes to get permissions or to delete but nothing worked. I found out more about Windows 7 permissions than I needed to. :)

You are the man! Mucho Gracias!!!!

17. Van231

Van231 MDL Novice

Apr 18, 2013
    Thank you very much. Appreciated!