Script to turn off keyboard toolbar upon system boot?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by gururoop, Apr 22, 2014.

1. gururoop

gururoop MDL Junior Member

Aug 12, 2012
    #1 gururoop, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    Now we all know that it is simply impossible to permanently disable the touch keyboard toolbar on touchscreen systems running Windows 8 and above. I am running 8.1 update 1 Pro x64 on a Lenovo touchscreen laptop. I was wondering whether we can make an automated script or macro to remove this touch keyboard toolbar on every startup? I don't want registry tweaks which disable all toolbars as I still use quick launch toolbar. I have already tried disabling touch services but the icon still remains after a restart.

2. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    #2 jellybelly, Apr 22, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
    right click the taskbar, go to Toolbars, uncheck Touch Keyboard............. done?

i dont have a touch screen though so i don't know if that would permanently disable it

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Nope, it re-enables itself after a reboot. VMWare and recent VirtualBox versions simulate touch devices, there you can witness it first-hand.

4. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Is there something special you have to do in virtualbox to turn on this simulation? I've got 8.1 pro in a virtualbox vm already and have never seen this keyboard toolbar enabled

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    In the settings for the VM, under tab System, Pointing device, select "USB Multi-Touch tablet".

6. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Cool thanks.

Upon first startup with the new setting the keyboard toolbar was enabled. I disabled it and rebooted and it stayed off. *shrugs*

7. orbidia

orbidia MDL Junior Member

Feb 22, 2010
    To disable the Virtual Keyboard in VMware:

Close the Virtual Machine tab in the VMware host application. (This deletes the .lck folder and allows editing of the .vmx file.)
    Open the virtual machine .vmx file as a text file.
    Find the setting:
    touchscreen.vusb.present = "TRUE"
    Change it to:
    touchscreen.vusb.present = "FALSE"

This turns off the touch screen emulation. The virtual keyboard won't appear anymore. Be aware that other touch screen options are also disabled in control panel and throughout windows.

8. jellybelly

jellybelly MDL Member

Oct 30, 2009
    ... except nobody is talking about disabling it in a vm, the vm was just for testing.

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    remove it with wn toolkit