[Script] Windows 10 TNBT (The next big Tweak) v6.5.6 -official thread-

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by uniQ168, Aug 2, 2015.

1. uniQ168

uniQ168 MDL Junior Member

Jul 18, 2015
    #241 uniQ168, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    (OP)
    Yes, you could disable Windows Update with TNBT entirely and use WUMT whenever you want to install updates. :)

2. atgpud2003

atgpud2003 MDL Addicted

Apr 30, 2015
    This is most handy tools.. Awesome!

3. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    Thanks! :)

I'm currently working on v6.1, which will introduce an interesting way to prevent malware/randomware from infecting the system.

4. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    Updated thread with v6.1 of the script and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Hope you guys enjoy.

Maybe we can get this thread sticky now - any mods reading this? :)

5. zamica

zamica MDL Member

Oct 1, 2012
    good job keep it up

6. xepher

xepher MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
    No see options :confused:

7. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    Did you run the script as administrator?

8. xepher

xepher MDL Novice

Oct 26, 2012
  9. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    Do you have powershell?

10. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    Odd. When you start the script as administrator from the context menu, it should show the menu. PowerShell is only used to elevate, if you run the script without admin rights.
    This could be your AV, refusing the script to run for safety reasons. :biggrin:

11. enotar

enotar MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2011
    I tried to apply the Registry Tweaks 1/1 and things works as described but after that I apply Recover Registry 1/4 and it is not the same.
    I didn't get back at the same initial state, had to do some mod in Registry for telemetry, defender, insider etc.... I am not sure some other still modified by applying the tweaks.
    Is this normal that recover is not complete?
    Thanks for the great job

12. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    #253 uniQ168, Sep 2, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    (OP)
    What Windows version are you running?
    The script was designed for and tested with Windows 10 Version 1607 Pro and Enterprise.
    Also the registry tweaks are all reverted with the recovery, since it's the same list with just reverted values. If you get error messages, you might have no access to those registry entries or already have modified your system with other tools. Futhermore it is recommended to reboot your system after applying these tweaks.

Well but when you run the script as admin from context menu, there is no PS script running before the menu starts. :/

EDIT: Updated the script to v6.2 which also quickly addresses the blank screen problem for you. Changed the method to automatically elevate the script. Source can be found in Changelog. Hope this fixes your problems. ;)

13. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    #254 kronflux, Sep 2, 2016
    FYI, I have a more up to date version of the elevation script you use, which is architecture friendly.

Code:
    :: BatchGotAdmin
    :-------------------------------------
    REM  --> Check for permissions
        IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" EQU "amd64" (
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\config\system"
    ) ELSE (
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\config\system"
    )

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
        echo Requesting administrative privileges...
        goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
        echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        set params = %*:"=""
        echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c ""%~s0"" %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"

"%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        exit /B

:gotAdmin
        if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
        pushd "%CD%"
        CD /D "%~dp0"
    PS: I haven't checked for additional changed, I just noticed yours didn't have the entries for 64-bit architecture.

14. enotar

enotar MDL Junior Member

Nov 21, 2011
    Windows 10 Pro Insider 14915 64 bits and no error display but example fix me in insider preview was greyed , I had to go delete a line in registry HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\DataCollection
    deleted AllowTelemetry

15. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    Insider Previews are not tested, since there are frequent changes from Microsoft.

16. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    #257 kronflux, Sep 3, 2016
    Okay, so I'm looking through your script here, and I'm noticing many things.
    Firstly, as I stated previously, your elevation portion is not architecture friendly(I posted a couple posts back with updated script)
    Code:
    :: BatchGotAdmin
    :-------------------------------------
    REM  --> Check for permissions
        IF "%PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE%" EQU "amd64" (
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\SysWOW64\config\system"
    ) ELSE (
    >nul 2>&1 "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\cacls.exe" "%SYSTEMROOT%\System32\config\system"
    )

REM --> If error flag set, we do not have admin.
    if '%errorlevel%' NEQ '0' (
        echo Requesting administrative privileges...
        goto UACPrompt
    ) else ( goto gotAdmin )

:UACPrompt
        echo Set UAC = CreateObject^("Shell.Application"^) > "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        set params = %*:"=""
        echo UAC.ShellExecute "cmd.exe", "/c ""%~s0"" %params%", "", "runas", 1 >> "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs"
        exit /B
    :gotAdmin
        if exist "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" ( del "%temp%\getadmin.vbs" )
        pushd "%CD%"
        CD /D "%~dp0"
    :--------------------------------------
    Secondly, Why are you setting the build number of Windows on line 6 but not detecting it? Granted, this doesn't -matter- but it's going to be incorrect for various users.
    This, for example, will save the windows version to the variable WIN_VER_NUM
    Code:
    FOR /f "tokens=4*" %%i IN ('reg query "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion" /v ProductName ^| Find "ProductName"') DO set WIN_NAME=%%j
    FOR /f "tokens=4 delims=[] " %%i IN ('ver') DO set WIN_VER_NUM=%%i
    Thirdly, -over- 90% of your code is not commented or detailed in any way, so there's no way to navigate the script to review functions we may or may not want to perform. I recommend grouping together all the lines for a particular feature or function of windows you're changing, and detail what you're doing and why. It's very hard to trust any script, even after reviewing the code if it's not organized and outlined.

One example of skepticism would be that you're submitting information to SpyNet on line 595, but not reporting Infection information to Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool on line 583. Since both are technically speaking SpyNet, you've contradicted your own decision on information reported.

Another example is that you're enabling cortana, but disabling web search - which is how cortana works. by searching the web.

Back to the drawing board, I think - or better yet, post it to GitHub and allow people to help contribute to it.
    Clearly outline in your readme what you're trying to achieve, and allow people to fix mistakes such as those above.

PS: Why are you changing the AdobeARMservice? This is not a service present in Windows by default. Most people running this script, if any, will be running it on a freshly installed OS. That would mean before installing Adobe programs.

17. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    #258 uniQ168, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    (OP)
    I don't see the point, when elevating already works well on x64 systems.

This is just a variable used in the menu structure.

No. This script is not meant to replace the Toggle Tweaker, as I have stated from the beginning. For trusting purposes, I will add comments in v6.3.

You are looking at the registry-recovery(!) setting.

Again, you were looking at the recovery settings.

Maybe I will do this in the future.

This is more of a personal thing and it's completely harmless. If you don't have Adobe programs installed, nothing will be deactivated. I might as well remove this in a future release.

18. kronflux

kronflux MDL Member

May 11, 2011
    Suppose herein lies the issue with not commenting your code properly :p

And no, I certainly didn't say it was a replacement for any particular tool. I said it's harder to navigate so as to modify the tasks we don't wish to perform.
    The problem with this type of script, is that everyone has different needs. No one set of tweaks will suit even the vast majority of people, let alone everyone.

As for the elevation bit, it's just the 'proper' way to do things.

Lastly, if you're worried about code that doesn't -have- to be there, I again bring focus to the build number variable, which in this case is absolutely pointless, but if it did have a purpose, it would be 'proper' to detect and store the correct build number.

Anyway, I hope this turns into a decent project, but my point wasn't to poke holes in it, it's to give constructive criticism to let you know it's got potential, but has a long way to come before it's very useful, or completely trustworthy.
    Cheers!

19. uniQ168

Jul 18, 2015
    #260 uniQ168, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
    (OP)
    I welcome any kind of feedback on this. ;)

The "build" variable is just so that I don't have to change multiple lines in future releases, that's all. It's not pointless. This script is meat for Version 1607, as stated in OP, so if I would detect the system you are using, that would imply, that the script is meant for your particular windows build, which is just wrong. :biggrin:

EDIT: That's because the menu says: "COMPATIBLE WITH: <variable>"

EDIT2: Btw the x86/x64 elevation script does an infinite loop of cmd open/close.

EDIT3: Updated to v6.3 addressing some of your feedback. ;)