"Secureboot isn't configured correctly" Watermark. Windows 8.1 Core activated.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Thvle, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Humphrey

Humphrey MDL Expert

Dec 13, 2011
    For those still having this issue.

I have a AsRock Extreme4 Z77 (latest bios software installed 2.90)

In my security tab while in the UEFI setup screen, I have a Secure Boot option that once enabled has another setting below it to install some keys or w/e that are from the factory. After installing them- My watermark for Secure Boot went away.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Gyrxiur

Gyrxiur MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I have just modified two files with Resource Hacker FX. Make copy of C:\Windows\Branding\Basebrd\en-US\basebrd.dll.mui and C:\Windows\System32\en-US\shell32.dll.mui. In first file, go to string table 1 and delete line 11, "Windows 8.1" for core or 12, "Windows 8.1 Pro" for pro version, then confirm with compile script button and save. In second file, go to string table 2070 and delete lines 33108, "%ws Build %ws" and 33117, "Secureboot isn't configured correctly", compile script and save. Then just take ownership and rights of original files, replace them with these modified and run mcbuilder in command promt ran as admin. Restart and watermark will be gone. If you use other than english version of windows, replace en-US in paths with your language codes.

3. panchop

panchop MDL Senior Member

Jul 26, 2009
    is much more simple enable secureboot and presto! watermark disable

4. Gyrxiur

Gyrxiur MDL Junior Member

Feb 7, 2008
    I know, but if you have installed windows in efi mode with gpt disk and your motherboard does not support secure boot, it will also in some cases display this watermark, then my solution is only possible, at least now, until MS fixes it.

5. Heidegger

Heidegger MDL Member

Mar 17, 2008
    My watermark went away sometime in the last few days, for some reason. I don't have it enabled in the bios because my video card isn't compatible. :g:

6. l2p2c2

l2p2c2 MDL Member

Apr 23, 2010
    I have the same issue. Installed windows in uefi boot. But secure boot is disabled because my graphics card does not support it. Still getting the watermark... Very annoying :)

7. froggz19

froggz19 MDL Junior Member

Jul 29, 2009
    #67 froggz19, Sep 18, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    Download the attached archive

Open Task Scheduler
    Click "Create Task" in the right column

General tab:
    write a Name for the task, configure it for Windows 8.1 and tick "Run with highest privileges"

Triggers tab:
    click "New...", select to begin the task at user logon

Actions tab:
    click "New...", select "Start a program" and browse for "SecureBootWatermark.vbs"

Restart to see the changes.

Goodbye watermark.

--edit--

DELETED

The operating system is behaving strangely when using this vbscript so use other methods to remove the watermark.

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    It would appear disabling UAC via regedit (Enablelua=0) will get rid of the watermark, at the cost of disabling most Modern UI apps. Just an option...

9. computeruser

computeruser MDL Novice

Aug 28, 2012

10. 2010gleek

2010gleek MDL Novice

Feb 6, 2012
    Well I've installed all the updates and sadly the Watermark is still there... Bummer :(

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    All the windows 8.1 reviews and fan sites talk about the polished interface, the start button and new apps; but no one talks about this problem or the fact that the hardware that worked perfectly in win 8 with or without drivers does not work as well in win 8.1 so far. Driver updates simply have not kept pace.

12. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    They'll come. Don't forget that it only was supposed to be available TODAY.

13. murphy78

murphy78 MDL DISM Enthusiast

Nov 18, 2012
    If you cannot configure your secureboot, you shouldn't install win8.1 using UEFI boot.
    Switch back to legacy boot and redo everything and you won't have a watermark.

14. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    #75 acyuta, Oct 18, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
    I have only 2 requirements which are very essential for me:

1. ASM1061 Sata Controller Drivers (required for esata): The drivers for win 8 and 7 worked perfectly. In 8.1 the latest one gives errors, and works intermittently.
    2. ASM USB 3.0: Win 8 required no USB 3 drivers. In 8.1 though even though no USB 3 drivers should be required, I find USB 3.0 devices not being recognised intermittently.

Highly frustrating as I have close to 8 TB of external storage on esata and USB 3.0. I can work around the secure boot but not this. Do the recent updates apply to hardware too.

So I am sticking to 8 for now, and will try 8.1 intermittently until a fix for these 2 problems is available. ASUS support had no drivers for win 8.1 till recently, but in the last week they posted drivers for chipset, MEI, LAN (not required) and audio. Sadly no drivers on ASUS or station drivers for ASM SATA controller/USB 3.0.

I could go with MBR/legacy mode to fix the watermark but I prefer UEFI and GPT now. Find it a better solution for me with win 8, SSDs, and my imaging software.

15. gfieldsr

gfieldsr MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    Secureboot isn't configured correctly

You need to go into bios setup and reset to "factory defaults". This will fix it!

16. gfieldsr

gfieldsr MDL Novice

Oct 19, 2013
    Go into Bios setup and restore to factory defaults. This will fix the problem

17. robbyrob

robbyrob MDL Novice

Oct 5, 2009
    problem with this is that lots of people, myself included, need to disable secure boot due to video card. For example if I enable secure boot than when my computer turns on I just a black screen until windows loads and I have no access to BIOS, boot order, etc. Cant log into BIOS if the screen is black. Once I disable secure boot this fixed everything. At this point I dont like the water mark but secure boot enabled is more of a pain in the ass than the water mark. :mad:

18. madamimadam

madamimadam MDL Novice

Aug 9, 2012

Does your motherboard have a clear CMOS button? Even most prebuilt systems will have at least a jumper. Then you can get into BIOS and disable secure boot. ASRock has a "reboot to UEFI" utility for accessing BIOS when secure boot is enabled, check with your board manufacturer for similar software.

19. acyuta

acyuta MDL Expert

Mar 8, 2010
    Strange to be quoting my own stuff, but I gave win 8.1 a try again on the weekend. This time I did not install any drivers (ASM) and windows 8.1 recognised and showed in computer both esata and USB 3 devices. Great as I thought my problems were solved till the driver appeared. Did connect/disconnect multiple and windows 8.1 behaved as I wanted. Sadly after some hours the problem reappeared again and I had to go to disk mgt to add drive letters and get the esata/usb 3.0 to appear again.