Securing Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by UltraLow, Nov 2, 2009.

1. rab2

rab2 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2009
    Does the 64 bit version have a firewall yet?

2. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    #22 eaponte23, Nov 2, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
    1: Anti Virus (Microsoft Security Essentials, Avira, avast! or AVG)

2: Firewall (Windows built-in + Sphinx Firewall Control, Comodo, OutPost)

3: Backup Software (Acronis 2010, Ghost 14 or Macrum)

4: Good Malware scanner (Malwarebyte's, SpyBot Search & Destroy,A-Squared)

5: Automatic Updates "ON" and UAC "OFF"

6: CCleaner is a must!

This is the security I would basically use on my own PC. Don't recommend using more than one AV or Firewall of course. As far as malware scanners I use more than one because I find that sometimes A-Squared and/or Malwarebyte's won't pick up something that the other might.

I usually disable M$ built-in system restore once I have my own backed up images from Acronis 2010. I set it up to incremental back ups every couple of days.

Firewall it's a toss up between the 3, it's upto you. Personal preferences I guess.

3. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    Now this is a display of true knowledge.
    I agree from 1 through 6, 6 being very important indeed.
    Right on, bro ! At least some get it right :D

4. gentoo

gentoo MDL Senior Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Well the most secure would be not to plug in your cat5 at all. If that is to extreme then I agree with eaponte23.

5. UltraLow

UltraLow MDL Novice

Oct 29, 2009
    excellent tips! thanks everyone... i disabled UAC. it's super annoying! Enabled protected mode and disabled system restore. Will take some time to try out all the suggested software...

@topdnbass
    you may have a MAC bound IP lease (i googled it)

@gentoo
    what about tempest?! oh noooooooooosssss ;)

i would like to add truecrypt to the list. i just ecrypted the whole hard disk including system partition. it's great if you're concerned about laptop theft. i don't like bitlocker becuase it uses a usb stick?

6. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    That's a great program, it's like PGP WDE Or Utimaco, but free :)

Just don't forget your Pre-boot authentication passphrase. ;)

Encrypted Pron = FTW

7. topdnbass

topdnbass MDL Novice

Sep 28, 2009
    Thanks UL, I know I have a mac bound IP lease, i just wanted more info on cloning :rolleyes:
    Some good security suggestions.
    Id like to add on that usinga more secure browser such as firefox rather than IE will significantly reduce problems as well.
    Believe it or not the majority of exploits, malware, spyware only work on IE.
    You'd be doing yourself a world of good by using firefox or chrome.

Truecrypt is amazing.

8. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Disabling UAC is the most stupid thing to do. And those so-called registry cleaners like CCleaner are nothing but sources of trouble.

9. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Having a nag-screen everytime I install something is pretty stupid aswell. CCleaner can be tweaked to only clean certain entries in your registry. I've used CCleaner for years and have yet to run into one single registry related issue caused by running Piriforms app...:rolleyes:

Easy Cleaner is another handy app to spruce things up, UI a lil outdated but it's reg cleaner is damn good.

10. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I know Norton Internet Security 2010(new one) is pretty good now too guys. Just a thought. :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  11. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009
    ROFL

I hope you are being sarcastic ?

Ccleaner is a must if you want a healthy registry. And UAC is totally unnessecary...

12. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    UAC is to Windows what Sudo is to Linux. It's the best security feature you can imagine in an OS. There are many reviews all over the internet about how effective UAC is compared to other security solutions. Take your time to learn about it before declaring it unnecessary.

There is no need for any registry cleaners so long as you don't install crapware on your system (which I never do).

13. rab2

rab2 MDL Novice

Jun 24, 2009
    Last time I read around about UAC it was possible to programatically bypass it. This means that UAC can save you from doing stupid things accidentally (if you're that sort of person) but it can't actually stop anything malicious from happening on your computer (which is what most people actually want). Or has MS changed their mind and fixed this?

14. pezzonovante

pezzonovante MDL Member

Jul 29, 2009
    After MS implemented UAC in Windows Vista, some users found it annoying, though it was a very good security feature. So MS decided to make UAC in Windows 7 less annoying by default and allowed certain programs to pass through it. Naturally it became less secure. But you can make it totally secure again by moving the UAC slider to the highest level. This will make it fullproof again. This is the first thing I do after installing Windows 7.

15. Archfiend

Archfiend MDL Novice

Nov 3, 2009
    Installed Win 7.
    Updated.
    UAC off, Firewall off, Defender Off.
    Using ESET Smart Security, its fast and effective. Much faster then previously used Bitdefender.
    Have used Online Bitdefender just to check if everything is ok, occasionally.
    :D

16. ennio

ennio Guest

Never heard about Sudo, thank you for the info. I agree with you with reg cleaner.

17. genuine555

genuine555 MDL Expert

Oct 3, 2009