Serious CPU usage issue (might be KMS related)

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by Zankman, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Zankman

Zankman MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I did answer: I don't know. I wasn't the one that set-up my PC.

I re-enabled sppsvc and will see how it works tomorrow.

As I said, this seems to be a common-ish issue likely related to Fall Update 1709...

2. s1ave77

s1ave77 Has left at his own request

Aug 15, 2012
    This most likely is the Antivirus acting increasingly aggressive agains KMS. Check it's quaratine for any captures.

Is there any KMS related Task in Task Scheduler Library?

Enter CMD in the Search and right-click the cmd.exe and 'Run as Administrator'. Enter (after sppsvc is re-enabled):
    Code:
    cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv
    And post the outcome here.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. punder

punder MDL Novice

Mar 12, 2018
    Read this article
    Fix: High CPU Usage by Sppsvc.exe ‘software protection platform service’ on appuals.com

4. Zankman

Zankman MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    That's how I got here; it didn't help. The others even disagreed with those methods, if you read back.

5. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    #26 elzna, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
    Why don't you just disconnect from the network and exclude the file path for the KMS service and process path in Windows defender. In my case:
    %systemroot%\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe

Code:
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Paths" /v "%systemroot%\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f
    REG ADD "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Defender\Exclusions\Processes" /v "%systemroot%\AutoKMS\AutoKMS.exe" /t REG_DWORD /d "0" /f

6. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    That looks very suspicious. I would recommend to ask the one that set up that PC what activation was used. The error shouldn't appear at all. Looks like you should start over with a fresh new install.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. Zankman

Zankman MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I am not sure but I can try that, I guess.

He doesn't quite recall. :/

Yeah... Dunno man. Asking me to reinstall Windows is like asking me to cut off my own finger. Don't wanna bother anyone with sob-story bulls**t, but it is what it is, depression related.

I'm contemplating just buying a legit copy at this point... Is a Windows key guaranteed to transition to "W11" or whatever?

8. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
  9. elzna

elzna MDL Senior Member

Aug 28, 2013
    It probably got nothing to do with fake activation. When you open up your browser, Windows Defender and its services will act like any of the internet security suit programs out there. Hence the increased CPU usage.
    I would only be worried if it's constantly hogging your CPU.

I don't use Defender myself so I don't have those services running.

10. Zankman

Zankman MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I mean, dunno... It has been reported that the fake/KMS activation has something to do with it.
    Plus, that service jumping up to 25-30% and getting my whole CPU up to 80% at points is more than annoying.

11. endbase

endbase MDL Guru

Aug 12, 2012
    Can't imagine that it has to do with the KMS activating better look for traces of criptominers malware or virussen could even be software you have installed in the past

12. s1ave77

Aug 15, 2012
    It's not a general KMS activation problem. Since you don't know what tool was used on your machine, there's not much we can do :cool2:.

13. Zankman

Zankman MDL Novice

Mar 11, 2018
    I don't think I have a malware/virus/cryptominer issue, I checked into that.

Yes, I'll keep a monitor on the situation and most likely just reinstall or buy Windows.

Thank you for all of your effort.