Server 2008 backup/activation question

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by superhpman, Jun 3, 2009.

1. superhpman

superhpman MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2009
    Hello all!

I have a quick question that I'd like to ask.

I just discovered Dreamspark, and the server 2008 download looks too good to pass up. I plan to convert it into a "workstation" once I get it downloaded and install it.

Research (a whole 10 minute search) indicates that I should be able to backup server 2008 to a DVD via the aptly named "Windows Server Backup" set of tools.

More research shows that the Dreamspark key is a one time use only.

My question...

If I was to activate server 2008 and then make a backup to restore at a later point, how would that affect my activation once I try to backup from the DVD? The backup DVD would (in theory) amount to a Dell restore disk

2. mealan

mealan MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2009
    as long as it was activated before the roll back you would be fine. also, same hardware same key should be fine.

3. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    the key can be activated unlimited amount of times. It says it is a 1/1 MAK key but the phone reps will generate an activation code for you as long as you tell them it is your first install, no im not installing it on other pcs, and all that jazz.

You can activate online 2-3 times and phone 2-3 times after that you will have to talk to a rep to get a code generated.