Server 2016 build 10586, possibly a good client alternative to LTSB

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by T-S, Nov 20, 2015.

1. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    Check if the browser service is enabled and started:

sc config "browser" start= auto

sc start "browser"

:D

2. ddsmm2n

ddsmm2n MDL Novice

Nov 21, 2015
    What does the OP mean about american/european bluetooth?
    I never heard about that so I'm a bit confused :) What would the issue be, and how would I swap out the bluetooth stack?

Would this really be fine to run on a new laptop I have coming, I was planning on running 10 Pro but if I can have a version without all the 'junk' - that would be amazing.
    No downsides, all normal programs will run fine etc? Ideally I would want an 'xp'/windows 7' version of Windows 10.
    I think Windows 10 looks nice, but I just don't want the apps. - But, it seems a bit extreme to use a Server version when I have no interest in running a (windows) server.
    With the bloat I think Windows 10 comes with, surely this will come (more?) bloat, but just 'server bloat' that I am not interested?
    So I would be only using this for the UI, and maybe the privacy changes and stopping the over simplification that MS has done recently?
    I'm not too sure what to do :)

3. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    #23 mrbbq, Nov 25, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
    So download Tech Preview 4 and try it and see for yourself..? Nothing to stop you installing it on Virtualbox and taking a look. Or installing it on a VHD and booting that. Or installing it on a 32Gb usb stick using WintoUSB (which sets up a vhd and installs it to that ON the stick) and booting that.

And nope, (re)starting the browser service didn't help as far as my shares go. Very strange, this did not happen at all in techpre 3. Actually it's never happened before at all prior to TP4. Yet both regular Server and Essentials act the same way. Go figure.

4. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012
    BT is an european tech. The American companies tried in any way to kill it, unless the users found it useful and the standard survived (although somewhat bastardized).

Win servers simply have the BT drivers and stack missing. Is possible but not handy to use the stack from client versions.

The Toshiba stack is just quicker. Just download and install it. That's all.

Most of them. The only problems are related to licensing, most (but not all) partitoning/backup/antivirus programs requires a specific version meant for servers.

5. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    DXDiag indicate the version to be 11.2. Does anyone know if GeForce drivers install on the server version or are modded Quadro required for non-quadro cards?

Regards

6. mrbbq

mrbbq MDL Addicted

Jul 18, 2015
    Windows 10 drivers for Nvidia cards install just fine (at least as far back as 500 series). You do lose Geforce Experience and that sort of stuff (I *think* streaming) but they work just fine. As ATI Catalyst ones do as far as my laptop went. They are a lot less picky about it than they used to be back when the Quadro trick was needed - I think that has been the case since original Server 2008 now.

7. T-S

T-S MDL Guru

Dec 14, 2012

There are problems with Intel cards given the usual stupid way Intel makes their infs.

The result is that even the drivers shipped by Microsoft inside the Server 2016 media won't install.

A small tweak is ended to the intel infs then they must be installed disabling temporarily the driver enforcement.

No need to make the driver enforcement permanent given the driver itself is untouched.

8. Shayne

Shayne MDL Addicted

Jul 31, 2009
    All up and running in a dual boot and works well. Foobar, madvr, lav, games and all my appz working well. A lot of driver signature disables and 1 inf hack since intel does not think you should run this OS with a desktop MB nic card. I was a bit sceptical about the asus muse and I have no task icon (which does nothing but display driver and firmware inf) but it works well with xlr out sounding good. Nvidia 5.1 spdif hdmi also not a problem. Appears that this as a desktop is a good option, OS and app boot are slower for me and maybe due to unoptimized chipset inf, that it is just a TP, or lack of server hardware? Slow enough that it is a bit of a deal breaker for me, any ideas as to why? Should only get better and something to follow for sure. My wife can not tell the difference between ltsb n and this accept for it being a bit slower. Would love to have this as the main OS so I can start to play with disabling the routers dhcp etc. to learn a bit. Thanks for the heads up on the option T-S.

Regards

9. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
  10. LiteOS

LiteOS Windowizer

Mar 7, 2014
    #31 LiteOS, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2015
    SystemApps Content:

ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable
    Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy [Included in Server TP3]
    Microsoft.AccountsControl_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.BioEnrollment_cw5n1h2txyewy - - removable(?)
    Microsoft.LockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe - removable
    Microsoft.Windows.AssignedAccessLockApp_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.Windows.CloudExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy - Breaks first login
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable
    Microsoft.Windows.SecondaryTileExperience_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.XboxGameCallableUI_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable
    Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable
    ParentalControls_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable
    ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy - Breaks Explorer.exe, with startisback option can be disabled and maybe removed
    WindowsFeedback_cw5n1h2txyewy - removable

Yes it can be good LTSB replacement :)

11. xinso

xinso MDL Guru

Mar 5, 2009
    #32 xinso, Dec 13, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017

Enterprise 2015 LTSB

C:\Windows\SystemApps
    Code:
    ContactSupport_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Microsoft.AAD.BrokerPlugin_cw5n1h2txyewy