Server 2022 Essentials - Yes, but no ?

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by itsmemario1, Oct 18, 2021.

1. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Still works on 22509.1 :D

2. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    1.)
    I installed 2022 Standard today and installed the fitting SPP, updating the BIOS to the latest version

As I havent recieved the ordered license yet, I would like to KMS VL ALL activate it, to later activate it with the Essentials key.

Might there be problems arriving, using KMS VL ALL now (making it become...standard) to later use the official Essentials key (where it will stay standard, but more users)

Or will the official key "fix all that", enabling me the legal use of 25 users ?

2.)
    And why ist it that I can only find Essential KMS keys for the 2019 version but not yet for the 2022 version ?

3.)

I also learned that there are 2 HPE product numbers that get sold when you purchase Server 2022 Essentials (ROK).

P46172-A21 Essentials itself 10 Cores (ROK)
    P46194-B21 1 Device CAL (about 50$)

Is the (additional) 1 Device CAL really needed ? What would it be good for ?
    As I understood Essentials comes with 25 Users ?

Does that mean I would have to install the "RD licensing role" to set up that one CAL in Server 2022 Standard/Essentials ?

I have seen many Server 2016 Essentials Systems, running without the "RD licensing role" and wasnt aware this might have..."changed" ?

4.)
    I will hopefully be able to try the "Essentials Patch" next week...

Regards

3. ExtremeGrief

ExtremeGrief MDL Addicted

Jun 2, 2020
    Why do you need Windows Server Essentials, what's wrong with Datacenter?

4. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    SOHO and the price difference.

5. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Does anyone actually pay for Windows?
    What is SOHO?

6. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Yes, most companies here pay for it, because software piracy is not funny anymore, when you get caught here. :)

SOHO=Small Office / Home Office, so its companies with 5-10 Employees, but often with applications that require a real server.
    The old company AMD or Fujitsu wont do any good here with an SQL database for example.

So, yes, the price difference and "special needs" make people often decide to spend as little as possible here.

7. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    Where are you from? In my country nobody checks for pirated software. Guess I'm lucky :)

8. itsmemario1

itsmemario1 MDL Expert

Sep 10, 2012
    Yes, you are lucky. And you probably will never get caught anyway. It always depends though.

I travel across europe a lot and can mostly confirm that revenera data map.

What I learned is, the bigger the company, the more licensed software you will find. Black sheeps are everywhere though.

Also very small companies arent very fond of getting blamed for piracy one day and pay for it to be on the safe side. Greedy / jealous snitches are everywhere too.

If you report a company to the BSA for example, raids by marshalls, customs and/or the police have happened and will always happen.
    Everywhere on planet earth. If you cant provide (enough) licenses then, good luck, you'll need it.

There are also M$ audits for example and for sure it looks suspicious if you deny their, uhm, lets call it "visit".
    Why wouldnt you want to let them in again again ? What would your "partners" like, uhm, Simsung or Tashiboo say ?

Devastating fines and various court visits can ruin a company in an blink of an eye. Your name always connected to it.
    Loosing partnerships...etc. etc. etc.

Yes, piracy is a growing "market" and Im aware that many, many, many companies dont pay for any kind of the software they use.

Also M$ usually is not after 1 single guy using an unlicensed copy of Windows 11.
    Rumor has it, they arent even after big companies, using thousands of unlicensed windows copies, right ? ;D

Its a bit like gambling and if you loose, it might be more than one unpleasent "surprise" coming at you.
    (also because you knew all the time that it might be happening) :p

upload_2021-12-30_14-15-45.png

9. ExtremeGrief

Jun 2, 2020
    I live in romania, and everyone is pirating Windows, even small businesses, schools etc

10. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    May someone please help me:
    Installed ne MS Server 2022 Datacenter. Downloaded files from github XSR1/WSEE-Setup and tried to start wsse-setup.ps1 skript. But Powersehll gives many errors.
    Most of them Operator > is not allowed, reservated for future use.
    May Someone explains in short steps what to do exactly?
    Thank you.

11. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    May someone please help me:
    Installed ne MS Server 2022 Datacenter. Downloaded files from github XSR1/WSEE-Setup and tried to start wsse-setup.ps1 skript. But Powersehll gives many errors.
    Most of them Operator > is not allowed, reservated for future use.
    May Someone explains in short steps what to do exactly?
    Thank you.

12. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Go to github & click on the green code button. Then download the zip file. Run the WSEE-Setup

13. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    Thank you. It works as described.

14. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    Is there a way to switch the language of the wsse using this Skript?

15. Agret

Agret MDL Junior Member

Aug 6, 2012
    Unfortunately no, I just downloaded the essentials.wim and opened in 7-zip and can confirm it only contains the language files for en-US

16. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    I have the original Installation files of Windows server 2016 essentials in German here. But I dont know, what to do exactly...

17. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    Can someone explain to me what is the function of wsee-capture.ps1 Skript on github?
    Is it possible to create a essentials.wim in german language on my own if I have a Windows Server 2016 essentials?

18. RobrPatty

RobrPatty MDL Expert

Jul 23, 2009
    Couldn't help to try. Swap out the original essential .wim with your german essential iso wim. And run the capture ps1

19. Dieter31

Dieter31 MDL Novice

Mar 28, 2017
    In which directory the capture Skript looks for source files of install.wim?

20. pm67310

pm67310 MDL Guru

Sep 6, 2011
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...