Server newbie

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by SegaGenesis, Oct 9, 2014.

1. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    you should let the loader do it, you have no need to do anything. but click install. it is smart enough to do what you need.

2. SegaGenesis

SegaGenesis MDL Junior Member

Sep 8, 2014
    When do I run the Daz Loader? After the installation? What do I do when asked for the key during installation? Or is it not like that (I've never installed Windows Server yet).

3. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    During installation you can use any valid key* for the Edition you install (you already posted some). Many server installations are pre-configured for VL/KMS and do not ask for any key.

*By the way, please mask all keys you posted. No plaintext keys in any post except for the OEM:SLP repos. Thanks.

4. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    I apologise, I didn't know. I've changed the keys in my posts now.

So all I have to do after the installation is run the Daz Loader and click on Install? Thanx.

5. Carlos Detweiller

Carlos Detweiller Emperor of Ice-Cream

Dec 21, 2012
    Yes, that should take care of activation. In some cases the Loader fails to install correctly with the default settings. Then you need to post your problem into the Loader discussion thread (read and follow post #1 of that thread).

Of course you then need to install drivers, programs etc.

6. ZaForD

ZaForD MDL Expert

Jan 26, 2008
    Hi Bellzemos,
    Please don't take this post the wrong way, its meant to advice not to criticize ;)

If you want to learn how an Operating System works or why it does things in a particular way (especially a Server OS)
    You need to get into it and play around. By braking it and then fixing it, or by re-installing it over and over. Not just will you learn a lot, but you'll lean faster.

i.e. this thread has been here for 2 weeks and you still don't have Server installed.
    All of the questions you have asked here, you could have answered yourself within a few days.

The guys here that know what their doing (not me :eek:) will be able to offer better help when they know, you have an understanding of how a Server OS works. :biggrin:

7. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    You told it just like it is and I'm about to finally install it. It would do it before but I had no time. Now it's the weekend and I can finally do it. I thank you all guys for your help and I'll probably have more questions for you in time... Off I go. :)

8. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Windows Server 2008 is installed and I've activated it using Daz Loader. Now how do I configure it (roles, features...)? I'd like it to share some files for my other computers in the house. Would it be possible to set it in such way that that other computers could access the files on it but the server itself wouldn't be able to connect to the internet (but only to the local computers, through the router). How is it usually done? How do I do it? Also, do I have to install an antivirus on a server? How about firewall? Thank you!

9. sripriya2691

sripriya2691 MDL Novice

Nov 15, 2014
    Its best for all newbie servers

10. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014

Attached Files:

• s.png
      s.png
      File size:
      32 KB
      Views:
  11. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    OK, I guess I'm asking too much. Thanx anyway.

12. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    First of all ... get a better server. Try a local IT recycling company ... get something that can run 2008 R2 or 2012 R2 (I would avoid 2012 original as I found it ran very slow on the same hardware as 2008 R2 and 2012 R2)

What you want to do is make the server a DC and perhaps have a look at making a DC with DHCP and DNS first, and perhaps RRAS (Routing and Remote Access) - can be interesting to learn to make a server a router or VPN server. Also a better server will let you run Hyper-V which would be essential to any real interesting stuff.

For the learning side, suggest as a simple introduction look at CBT Nuggets stuff (lots of torrents on the usual places). There is more in-depth material available but this would be easier starting point.

Also get some basic terms right ... "active domain" ... no such things. You mean Active Directory, which the the multi-master database shared by domain controllers within the domain.

13. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Nah, for now I won't be buying anything new, I'll try to learn on W.S. 2008.

If I make the server a domain controller (with DHCP and DNS), then the server can be used as a router? I don't know how to do all this, yet.

I will look at CBT Nuggets Windows Server tutorials, thank you. :)

14. JimmyHurrell

JimmyHurrell MDL Novice

Dec 17, 2014
    Thanks sharing the information.

15. pvdven777

pvdven777 MDL Member

Jul 4, 2010
    #36 pvdven777, Dec 20, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2014
    Not sure about Domain controller function but basic file and printer sharing shouldn't be an issue.
    Up until quite recently, for some 6 years I had a 1GB RAM Atom based rig running file and printer sharing with software raid for the whole family with acceptable performance (yes, true, our standards aren't too high).

I even did some fun experiments with serving up applications to some workstations.
    Also at some point I virtualized (VMWARE workstation 7 or 8) an XP install with bittorrent client on it. But then I really ran into RAM size issues even though it did in fact work stable.

So you've got plenty good enough hardware to do some experimenting and learning if you ask me.

16. sebus

sebus MDL Guru

Jul 23, 2008
    Never could understand why people learn to drive using smallest car possible. One will pass the licence & then have NO idea what to do with anything bigger when it happens.

Same here, get proper gear, learn 2012 R2 (then you can use all below).
    Do not do it back to front... (no matter how stubborn you are), take advice when given

17. Dave101

Dave101 MDL Junior Member

Feb 27, 2014
    You are learning the same way i did, which is the best way. i implore you to use windows server 2008 r2, as everything u will learn will easily transfer onto windows server 2012 and further.
    Be apsoultlty certain you cannot run windows 2008 r2. further more look into Hyper-V a reasonably powerful laptop can run whats callled a Virtual Mashine, which is a OS in an OS.
    its free and built into windows give it a look.

18. SegaGenesis

Sep 8, 2014
    Hi all, long time no type. I've been learning little by little...

So, basically what I'd like to do now is make a subnet for my Server PC on which I will run a virtualized Windows XP as a client to that server so I can learn more. I would like to put them both in the sam subnet so that my parent network is stays safe and separated.

I only have one router and one unmanaged little switch (as shown on my first post in this thread), all computers in the house share the 192.168.1.X subnet.

Can i create a subnet for my server then? Maybe by dividing the last octet?

Thank you!

19. Threat

Threat Lord of the Files

Feb 23, 2014
    If you put your server on another subnet then how will it be able to access the internet?

suggest you look at 2 lan cards and rras, or maybe a second router and build you lab behind that.