Setting up PhotoPrism

Discussion in 'Application Software' started by jpsusenet, Sep 11, 2022.

1. jpsusenet

jpsusenet MDL Novice

Jun 16, 2016
    Hi, I am trying to setup PhotoPrism on my home server running Docker EE. I have 637gb of pics and more aprox 50000 files not counting what is on all the pc's. They were recomining MaridaDB, but I cant get it installed and was wondering what is the best chose for basically a google photo shelf hosted setup? Ent? Also, is there a simple tutorial anywhere on how to use the SmartVersion tool?

2. naxal

naxal MDL Member

May 15, 2014
    Hello,

One IP can only run one domain. With domestic ISP connection, single public IP is assigned to my home router.

sub1.domain.com -> Jellyfin
    sub2.domain.com -> nextcloud
    sub3.domain.com -> PhotoPrism 1
    sub4.domain.com -> PhotoPrism 2
    sub5.domain.com -> PhotoPrism 3
    sub6.domain.com -> PhotoPrism 4

All these sub domains of mine points to that single IP with "A" records added at DNS panel of the domain controller!!

Router forwards all 80/443 traffic to the Nginx VM. There NginX proxy manager will filter the traffic based on the domain name and send them to their respective VM Internal LAN NAT IP & ports.

Not all setups are equal. It's open source, not Apple detecting how to do things. So based on your specific need, setups can be different.

This is my setup,

There are separate VMs for the Job

VM1 -> NginX (Docker Deployment)
    VM2 -> NextCloud (Snap Installation)
    VM3 -> PhotoPrism (Docker Deployment, multiple containers for each users with different port)

Nextcloud supports multiple users so single deployment but PhotoPrism needs a docker container running with different port since it has no multi user concept.

Nextcloud app is far better in auto uploading and managing the data but viewing is awful with present nextcloud UI. Basic & crude file folder structure view. Where as PhotoPrism offers much modern UI and viewing experience !!

All my users use nextcloud iOS / Android app for auto uploading their media from their respective devices. It can be done via web gui also. Each user can connect their respective PhotoPrism with their respective nextcloud A/C using WebDAV. Easy few clicks job with PhotoPrism web GUI. LAN IP of the Nextcloud along with user name and password is just needed. Then select the photo backup folder to import that into PhotoPrism library !!

In this entire setup, Windows has no role apart from being the storage pool manager and the hypervisor to run those Hyper-V VMs. One may find better result with Proxmox or Unraid type stuff but I feel comfortable with Windows, so went ahead with Windows.

Thanks.