Settings app always crashes when selecting default apps

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by nanoquarks, Oct 13, 2022.

1. nanoquarks

nanoquarks MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2015
    I am getting Settings app always crashes whenever I am choosing Apps->Default Apps.

I have done everything that I can found of the internet :
    1. Right click in the Settings App-> App settings, and choosing "Repair" & "Reset" then reboot
    2. Re-register the settings app by "Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers -Name windows.immersivecontrolpanel | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode –Register “$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml” -Verbose}"
    I am on Windows 11 22H2 22621.674 .

The settings app logged an error in the event viewer :
    Code:
    Faulting application name: SystemSettings.exe, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0x12963a0f
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.608, time stamp: 0xf2e8a5ab
    Exception code: 0xc00000fd
    Fault offset: 0x000000000003cee7
    Faulting process id: 0x0x1CDC
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D8DF26E40C460D
    Faulting application path: C:\Windows\ImmersiveControlPanel\SystemSettings.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: c1cb6c93-9e54-4d68-8b1d-364c66e5a7ad
    Faulting package full name: windows.immersivecontrolpanel_10.0.6.1000_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
    Faulting package-relative application ID: microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel

2. nanoquarks

nanoquarks MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2015
    Tried in-place upgrade into 22621.746 using uupdump iso but the crashes still happening.

3. kaljukass

kaljukass MDL Guru

Nov 26, 2012
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. nanoquarks

nanoquarks MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2015
    Just because you haven't experienced it doesn't mean it's doesn't matter for others, I am not asking from you, I am asking from other who cares.
    This Settings App crashes is like a plague, if it's not then it won't show up in any google searches, this settings app things is new thing from microsoft which normally being configured by control panel.

I am also a programmer, I know which are which, which one are is originating from my PC or not.

Nop, it's from a clean install, was detected accidentally before doing clean install, somehow software and tools installations in my configuration is affecting the operational of the Settings App.

Software doesn't mean for crashes, if I have tried every permutations and configurations then it might be problematic later on for the future users which might encounter the same configurations and installation as mine.

Normally in-place upgrade like every other who've tried, it's automatically repair those settings/profile corruption but the problems I am sure relies on Settings App code.

If you've read Exception code from my post, which is "0xc00000fd", it's mean stack overflow, which is normally happened in the code inside the Settings app.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami MDL Expert

Mar 15, 2014
    All stack overflow errors I have experienced were caused by me, by disabling services/tasks, changing default settings or uninstaling default apps, but I blamed MS. For example disabling "DevicesFlow" crashes - Settings - Bluetooth and devices.

6. Ye my dear friend Device assoc + its broker svc , devices flow , devices flow user svc , bt support are dependencies of bluetooth on windows :)

7. nanoquarks

nanoquarks MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2015
    Well I don't 'optimized' or 'modified' my clean windows install, it's plain vanilla Windows 11 install with softwares and tools. Also no third party anti-malware or antivirus being used.

8. ch4os

ch4os MDL Junior Member

Jan 9, 2010
    Maybe try to reproduce your problem in a virtual machine. Install your apps and tweaks you do and see when the error occurs the first time. VMs have the big advantage that you can go back and forth with snapshots and find out exactly when the problem happens.

And in case you can‘t reproduce the bug in a VM, chances are you either have a very specific hardware problem or your current installation is in fact somehow damaged and you should really try to do a clean install.

You can always do a full image backup (Macrium Reflect Free is great for that!) first in case a fresh install doesn’t help at all. That way you could go back easily if nothing‘s working out for you.

9. nanoquarks

nanoquarks MDL Novice

Jan 8, 2015
    Thanks for the reminder, will try to reproduce it in a VM, already also using Macrium Reflect, yes a great norton ghost replacement :).

I have installed Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 which is based on Microsoft document unsupported, perhaps I will try to not using it.

Managed to get the SystemSettings.exe full crashdump, trying right now to report it into more proper channel than plain feedback hub.