Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partit

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by doggod, Aug 15, 2012.

1. doggod

doggod MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    "Setup was unable to create a new system partition or locate an existing system partition"
    is the message thats frying my head
    Had win 8 installed as an upgrade and managed to get it KMS activated so I decided to back up the activation and do a clean install so that i could image the disk and have a way of reverting back to it when ever i wanted.

However on the Dell XPS 17 (L702) when i got to the partition dialog and wiped the disk and hit next I get the error in the title. Thinking this may be an issue with windows 8 i dropped win 7 onto a usb key and I get the same error at the partition dialog in that .

There is nothing else plugged into the machine while im do the install and ive moved the boot order around and around and still no luck.

Even tried Linux Mint for usb and still no go.

Any ideas

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    Go into BIOS,

If you have something called UEFI boot, disable that

then try again it should work

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. PhaseDoubt

PhaseDoubt MDL Expert

Dec 24, 2011
    Use the Dell system restoration to get it back to factory condition and go from there. The original config may not be what you want but at least you'll be back to a working system identical to what you had to start with. Then go from there like you did the first time.

4. doggod

doggod MDL Novice

Aug 8, 2009
    Unfortunatly I didnt have the dell restore dvds made and I had deleted the restore partition.
    However I finally got an trueimage image of the system restored using a usb key thatwas seen
    as a storage device and not plugging in the portable drive that the image was on till
    trueimage was loaded.

Have everything back together now with restore dvds made and a trueimage disk back up made

I can go messing again :)

@ian82 - no way to disable UEFI boot in the bios - I guess this is what the linux guys were talking about regarding
    UEFI, I agree totally with them , you should have the ability to turn off. :(

5. drobin

drobin MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2012
    I was in a similar situation, lets see if my blogpost helps you - adhocshare.blogspot.in/2012/09/windows-7-usb-install-error-setup-was.html

6. anarchist9027

anarchist9027 MDL Expert

Oct 30, 2010
    If you obtain a Windows setup disc, boot from it and go into the "repair your computer" option. Then choose command prompt and use these commands:

vol c: (This will tell you the volume label which you will need later in the format)
    Followed by: format c: /fs:NTFS

You will then get this prompt: Enter current volume label for drive C:

Then enter your volume label and then hit Enter

Type Y and then press Enter when prompted with the following warning:

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISKDRIVE C: WILL BE LOST!Proceed with Format (Y/N)?
    After the format, you'll be prompted to enter a Volume label.

Type a name for the drive, or don't, and then press Enter.

And that's it! You just formatted your C drive.

7. Ithunzi

Ithunzi MDL Novice

Mar 15, 2012
    This worked for me eventually thanks mate :) But you have to literally only take it out for ONE SECOND before you click install.

8. HALIKUS

HALIKUS MDL Addicted

Jul 29, 2009
    A little off topic, but if you use grub4dos and boot a wim with chenalls ntboot you get the same error. If you boot the wim from the bcd menu, i don't get the error. I think its because chenall uses a small image of the necessary boot files so its mounted as a cd or something. Putting a win cd in the drive temporarily solved the problem (wich is what i assume the article says).