Shared files in win7 corrupted by HOMEgoup settings.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Dreuzel, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Dreuzel

Dreuzel MDL Member

Apr 22, 2009
    !IMPORTANT might solve a lot of problems for everyone !!!

Many problems with shares (ex XP connect problems) are caused by changed Microsoft settings, and potentialy bad MS implementation!
    share rules :

instead of securing systems on windows 7, MS cluttered it up
    Theoreticaly advantages should be possible but I think this IS A CLEAR MISTAKE incompatible with security architecture
    (Since one year people are strugling with shares!!!!)
    ADVICE:
    The real Question

Please any comment on the real question!!!!! -WHO WHERE WHEN (leading to improved security)

2. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    This is the best scenario of HomeGroup that's why MS ;) is selling Server OS. HomeGroupUser$ gonna stay for Windows 7 and in near future not going away as claimed by MS.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. DAz999

DAz999 MDL Member

May 19, 2007
    homegroup is full of problems, I prefer to not enable homegroup and do my shares the old way, via workgroup this seems to have fewer problems and is more reliable. I have had to fix many user problems with homegroup

4. Dreuzel

Dreuzel MDL Member

Apr 22, 2009
    #4 Dreuzel, Jul 12, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
    (OP)
    Thank you very much .....:mad:

it's even worse the credential manager automatically overwrites the credentials , so the original stated SECURITY HOLE is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!! and killing all the settings

With this knowledge I can break in in any system where they tested HOMEGROUP once ......:mad: (clearly I agree with last user (reaction to opus)

Any idea to overrule the overwriting in the credential manager (if someone plays at home with his system.....)

5. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  6. Myrrh

Myrrh MDL Expert

Nov 26, 2008
    In a Windows network if you care about security that much, you build a domain and join everything to it. Homegroup functionality disabled by default.

7. Opus

Opus MDL Member

Jul 28, 2009
    I agree with 100% confidence. I have been using Active Directory scenario for about more than ten years and my network hasn't been breached to date. But you gotta apply some security measures in domain too via GPO.