Shoud I jump of the cliff and upgrade from Win7 to 8.1 or not?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Rab, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. piercekalton

piercekalton MDL Senior Member

Apr 2, 2010
    #41 piercekalton, Jan 27, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
    I still don't get why it matters if SkyDrive or Documents folders are displayed in ThisPC or why it matters if it is called ThisPC or My Computer. is your screen resolution 640x480 maybe?

I think you should downgrade to Windows 98 SE w/ Comic Sans font.

Index.jpg

oh wait it has My Briefcase. you are probably one of those people who thought that was the end of the world

2. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    there's no point in arguing with a stupid fanboy

MS is gonna drop support for this s**tty OS in October 2015 which just shows what a huge fail it is. go figure fanboy and prepare to format your PC soon

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    #43 piercekalton, Jan 27, 2014
    I didn't like Windows 8 at first but I got used to it when I realized that it is the same thing but w/ more features for different types of devices. maybe you'd like to go back to DOS where you had to spend an hour with a printed manual just to configure a sound card.

you still haven't explained why it is so important to delete a photo app? WHO CARES? go delete the damn EXE if you are that obsessed with it.

you're probably one of those people who deletes default screensavers you don't like.

and why disable indexing? it just makes it take 5 years to find anything. no wonder you think it is slow.

4. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    ok fine! you convinced me! im formatting my laptop now and reinstalling Windows 8.1

I have 2 licenses, 1 for Single Language and one for Pro

which one shall I install? will Pro be heavier/slower?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    no, it will not. it will be the same with more features.

6. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    try OS/2. remember UI simplicity trumps kernel performance. don't forget to delete the Chess EXE god forbid you might have a few extra KB of bloat on your hard drive.

Os2W4.png

7. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    good lord no please :roflmao:

8. Espionage724

Espionage724 MDL Expert

Nov 7, 2009
    #48 Espionage724, Jan 27, 2014
    What is with the mentality of keeping files and programs on a computer if you don't use them? I don't care how much space something takes up; if I have absolutely no need for it, why keep it around? I have a 2TB drive and barely use 100GB of it. Space isn't an issue. Keeping useless stuff around is just... pointless. If anything, it'll slow down my defrag process having to defrag crap I never intend to use.

I will admit though I don't go "that" far as to deleting specific executable (I would if I knew it wouldn't affect updates, something else important, or mess with chkdsk). Modern UI apps though that I don't (and can't because of UAC) use though, why have them? IE11? I have Google Chrome...

As for why to disable UAC, it's annoying. I'm a power user, and know the risks of doing what it is I do. I don't need my entire screen dimming just to confirm the thing I intentionally wanted to do. If I want to enter regedit or move a file to the Windows folder, it's because I want to. "but... that malware?" Nope, not even an issue in my case since I'm aware of what I run, install, and have running on my computer. In other words, UAC does absolutely nothing but slow me down.

I tried to like Windows 8, and defended it quite a few times to. I already listed a bunch of issues I manage to run into with 8 and 8.1. Sure, I could go run and fix those problems with some time and 3rd-party programs, but... why? Windows 8 nor 8.1 offer me any benefit over 7 (no, those on-paper performance "improvements" either don't exist for anything I do, or are largely transparent). If anything, 8 and 8.1 are more of a hassle to maintain than 7 in my case.

If there had to be any reason at all why I'd use 8.1, it would be for a UEFI install with a slightly faster boot time and the fact I paid $15 for my copy. Neither of those are worth the trouble of setting up 8.1 in my case...

And just to clarify, I'm not one of those silly noobs who complain up and down about the Start Screen without trying it and then condemn the entire OS. I'm a power user who has used 8 and 8.1 for months on multiple computers mainly for gaming, and have done countless re-installs. I started to cringe after realizing the mess of settings and tweaks I have to do following a 8.1 install.

8.1 is fine for people who don't run into specific issues. In my case, there's no need to reinvent the entire wheel and then some in 8.1 when it's already mostly made in 7 :p

9. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    Yes, your assumtion was correct I'm essentially locked out from their computers, BUT as I was informed by the kids IT-suport I'm actually allowed to install classic shell/startisback+. So its not a total nightmare. I hope.

10. ian82

ian82 MDL Expert

Mar 7, 2012
    just finished formatting and installing 8.1 Pro

MUWAHAHA

11. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    #51 Rab, Jan 27, 2014
    (OP)
    Ian, piercekalton THIS is what I specifically asked you NOT to do!
    Want to have a go at each others throats? Create the Ian-piercekalton cat fight thread! You can even keep scores there if you want. Just dont destroy this more than already done.

Please back to order and costructfull information to any one who cares about the actual topic!
    Any more of this nonsense and I will ask the admins to close and delete the whole thread.

On second thought. Just close it. Leve it bee for the parts that is actually usefull for others. But for the love of God/Allah/Budda/Insert random religion, just close it. Its a lost cause.

For those who want to know what hapend next, I installed it on a VHD an is learning the basics in preparation of trying to decide... or atleast I will in the morning.

/Rab

12. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    Well if you ask such a question you also could have asked who likes the colour blue and why and why green is the better one. Mostly these discussions boil down to the fact that the hurd-mentality of tech savy geeks has to say that ModernUI is ugly and therefore not realy usable and that's why Windows 8(.x) IS crap.

This is also like asking for something religious. If you ask the wrong people such question you must lose to them. Religion and Faith is per definition not diskussable with objective arguments.

I mostly don't participate in such discussions any more because they don't bring any usefulness in terms of real valid and constructive views. Only highly subjective opinionated bashing of Windows 8(.x) driven by herd-mentality.

Sometime in the past I put forward a theory that Steve Jobs put this mandatory Windows 8 bashing in his will shortly before he died. :twisted:

For your situation I would recomend that you read or watch some basic beginner tutorial on using the ModernUI. Everything you realy need to know on how to use ModernUI in your dayly work can be tought in 5 minuts and in more detail in 30 minutes. If you see the StartPage as the (with much more functionality) Startmenu and are able to grasp this concept than you can be on your way. By the way do you know that there got no StoreApp passed the certification which contained maleware. If you see change as a scary ugly and unbearable thing than you might never get in the mood to use Windows 8(.x) in any comfortable way.

My experience is that the majority of average joe users are very pleased with Windows 8 if you show the all the things they need to know in 5 to 30 minutes. Then they ask "Why is Windows 8(.x) considered to be a bad thing?"

13. Rab

Rab MDL Member

May 18, 2009
    When people are right, they are right! And you Sir are right!
    I never should have started a thread of opinions, which when you boil it down this is. In my defence I didn't realize. I thought it was a straight forward question, and decided to dress it up a bit with humour.
    Never imaged what a hornet’s nest this might turn out to be.
    To all that like me got disappointed by to be honest my lack of human insight I apologize.

/Rab

14. BigW

BigW MDL Member

Apr 25, 2010
    You propatly know this but in Windows 8(.x) you can activate Hyper-V which is almost as powerful as on a Windows Server 2012. I'm now very dependent on this in my dayly work. Another feature no one is talking about are StorageSpaces. I'm a very heavy user of these features now and can't even imagine going back to Windows 7.

15. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    why keep screensavers you don't use or apps or wingames around that you don't use? because WHO CARES?! don't waste your time on it.

first, if UAC has saved your ass even once, it has done its job. turning it off is just dumb. any malware could run a background command prompt without your knowledge.

maybe you should stop re-installing and just use it. I've installed it once. it is fine. maybe all your reg hacks and deletions are f**king it up.

most gaming UI's are a complete disaster, so why are you complaining about the 2 seconds you have to spend in Windows loading the game?

16. piercekalton

Apr 2, 2010
    what is the point though? explain to me what the difference is because I don't get it. I have lost NO functionality moving to Win 8.

17. eydee

eydee Guest

Sales figures show otherwise. Microsoft ditching 8 and announcing 9 shows otherwise. Now go and find fanboyism in these 2 sentences...

18. Zeblade

Zeblade MDL Junior Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Metro is nothing more then a full screen menu with cute little MS programs like Apple, Android. Get classic start or start8 like you were told at the start and blah blah blah.

If you noticed anything here almost EVERYONE here is an expert pfft. Let me off at the next stop please.