Should I run x64 or x86 Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by digdug, Oct 21, 2009.

1. HSChronic

HSChronic MDL Expert

Aug 25, 2007
    everything is going 64-bit so it is only logical to use a 64-bit OS. The next OS on the client side from MS is going to be 64-bit only probably.

2. MrFerretKing

MrFerretKing MDL Member

Aug 25, 2009
    PC users will never use more than 2 gig??? WTF kind of statement is that.

I own a computer services company and I can't tell you how many computers (OEM and custom) I see that have Vista installed and only 1-2 gigs of ram. That sounds like a lot to some but with a fresh install of Vista with no speed tweaks with the average home user using some kind of IM proggy, Antivirus, Multiple Browser tabs, maybe Itunes or similar, all running in there session. (not counting all the OEM crapware running in system tray) The computer is already swapping to disk and having hard memory faults. And thats a plain vanilla home users experience, not taking in account many users have a crap load of other software running in the background whether they know it or not.

I honestly tell my customers I won't install Vista on any computer with less than 2GB preferably more and XP with no less than 1GB.

Mfk

3. eaponte23

eaponte23 MDL Member

Sep 29, 2008
    I'm idling @ 1 gig ram right nowout of 3 and I'm on Win7 Home Prem 32 bit. Clean install with just Comodo Firewall, Microsoft Security Essentials, Diskeeper and 2 Intel exes loading up at startup list. Got utorrent on and Firefox with just 2 tabs open... Seems pretty stock to me and I'm not even playing MP3's or converting a DVD yet.

4. Dolorous Edd

Dolorous Edd MDL Expert

Aug 31, 2009
    There are allot of misperceptions about 64 bit windows vista and 7. There really are not very many driver issues for the 64 bit veriety. With rare exceptions I have not seen issues with drivers, really not many more than I have seen with the 32 bit variety.

As for wich to install, I suggest you just install the 64 bit version if it is likely that you will at some point have more than 4gb of ram. The only issue I have seen with 64 bit is some 3rd party system utilities may not support it. If you install windows 7 64 bit remember to always choose the 64 bit version of software when available, if it isn't available don't worry 32 bit software is typically compatible.

If you install 32 bit version of 7zip on a 64 bit platform it breaks the context menu for 7 zip.

I have been running 64 bit for well over a year with no issues.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. RobsTV

RobsTV MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    Here, on the two machines in front of me right now, 7 Ultimate HTPC with 4 gig installed (3.25gig useable with 32bit version), is using 813meg at 49 processes, and 7 Pro Laptop with 2 gig installed is using 828meg at 66 processes.

The HTPC hasn't been rebooted in 4 days, and is fully loaded machine for HTPC use, including many apps for watching sat DVB-S (partly MyTheatre, which is a huge memory hog watching HDTV as I type).

The Laptop has been running for a month, and is what I mainly use for my everyday things. Including Win 7, install drive shows 22 gig of installed apps, and it is used heavily. No video editing, but some light Photoshop.

6. RobsTV

RobsTV MDL Novice

Aug 19, 2009
    #26 RobsTV, Oct 22, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2009

Actually, that was not what I typed:

"95% of PC users will never use more than 2 gig, (past and near future), and many never use more than 1 gig even in a system that has 2 or 3 gig installed."

Sorry I was not clear, but as I stated later in the post, I was referring to the XP to Win 7 upgrade path. Many home users skipped Vista or had me upgrade them from pre-installed Vista to XP, while no business clients moved to Vista. That brings up another great point. Vista was not recommended for Netbooks, but the refined Vista (Win 7) is now fine to use with Netbooks. Note that many Netbooks have a built in limitation of 1.5gig total max memory you can have installed. Win7 Ultimate works great on my Acer Aspire ONE with 1.5gig.

Post was also not about is 1 or 2 gig enough. It was about installing Windows 7 64bit so that you can take advantage of 4+ gigs of memory that many say you need. I can't see it, as most people do not use even 1 or 2 gig. 3gig of memory should be more than enough for most users to have over the next few years.

But really, don't take my my word for any of this. Simply do as the prior post suggests and google to find benchmark reviews comparing 32bit to 64bit. (of course when using 32 bit apps, because that is the whole point of not needing to spend a ton more money on new versions of software and hardware that is 64bit compatible, but rather use the software you already own).

As a fellow computer services owner, yes 64bit and more memory is GREAT for business. (isn't that the whole point of Windows 7. More money for all in the biz?) Plus, of course we get free legit Full retail (NFR) versions of Win7 Ultimate from the MS launch shows that they had, including the 64 bit version from their Win7/AMD event earlier this week. (while 64bit DVD was given out, key can be used for 32bit installation of course)

7. Pliskin

Pliskin MDL Member

Jul 30, 2009
    I written it above, not only more adressable RAM is the advantage of 64bit.
    Many people reduce it only to the handable RAM!

64 bit apps are faster as 32bit ones (only when the are good written)

I don´t think that the most of users need more than 2GB too ...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  8. sam3971

sam3971 MDL Guru

Nov 14, 2008
    I had one problem with x64. My pc running 7 x64 could not access my shared printer hosted on a 7 x32 pc. I could not find x64 driver support with the share options either. Is there a way I can link them together without going to a x32 system myself?