Should I update my AHCI controller driver?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by WoKeN, Jun 2, 2014.

1. WoKeN

WoKeN MDL Novice

Jun 2, 2014
    The driver that's installed currently is 9.1.9.1005 from intel that came with my chipset drivers. The driver date is 7/25/2013.

I was wondering if I should update my AHCI controller driver to 11.7.0.1013 which is apparently the last supported AHCI controller driver for my ICH10R x58 motherboard but that was released back in 12/06/2012.

I'm sort of confused why an older driver has a driver date newer than a newer driver.

Can anyone confirm that the 11.7.0.1013 AHCI controller driver is the last supported drivers fro my ICH10R x58 mobo? Everytime I try to install a newer RST driver it says my computer is not supported.

Also one more question is; every time I try to install the latest 10.​0.​13 chipset driver, nothing in my device manager seems to be updated where as when I install 9.3.0.1026 chipset driver my devices are changed from microsofts provided drivers to intel ones, should I just stick to the 9.3.0.1026 drivers?

And can someone tell me the official last supported chipset drivers for my ICH10R x58 mobo?

2. skutjong

skutjong MDL Novice

Jul 23, 2013
    The win-raid forums are a great source for Intel RST related stuff. It has download links and explanations for drivers regarding compatibility, performance etc. I can't post any links (post count under 20) but you should find the thread by googling for "intel rst win-raid" and clicking the first link.

As for myself, I have an x58 board too and I'm using the Intel RST v11.2.0.1006 WHQL drivers, which are the last official drivers without the SCSI filter driver.

Also, the Intel Chipset driver update package actually doesn't install any drivers, it just updates the .inf text files to have the correct names for the system devices. So it really doesn't make any performance difference if you install it or not. But if you want, just install the latest x58 supported ones (9.3.0.1026 IIRC) so you then have the correct names in device manager. :)