Shrink 1B module and other SLIC questions

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by madaload, Apr 27, 2009.

1. madaload

madaload MDL Junior Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Guys, would somebody please help me here? I am really trying to understand how this SLIC and SLP modding works. With the help of tutorials in this forum I was able to manually upgrade my ACER laptop to Vi$ta Ultim ate. I have read all the tutorials, but I am still struggling to understand some options in the AMI SLIC Mod v1.00 RC10 though. I am experimenting with modding the BIOS for ASRock X48TurboTwins mobo by adding both SLP and SLIC mods. (AMIBIOS core version 0800)

When I use AMI SLIC Mod v1.00 RC10 than the only option that works is SSV2. The other methods using the MMtool would freeze the application. Anyway, I am very curious about some options in the SLIC tool. Namely the “Always shrink 1B module” option and the “Use extra space to shrink” option. When do I need to use those? And if I tick them unnecessarily, will it do any harm to the resulting BIOS file and consequently to the mobo?

I am also a little concerned about this part of the log after I modded the BIOS:
    Why was the “Existing SLIC in 1B” deleted? Why did it take 7 steps to correct the 1B module? And what does this mean :”There are unlinked blocks in module 80h”? Should I be concerned about unlinked blocks? Should I be concerned about anything in that log if it says “SLIC performed successfully” in the end at all? I also used the SLIC TOOL3 FOR OEM VISTA Ver20080419 and that didn't give me any output to be paranoid about. Only two green squares and a popup about job done.

And my last question, do I need to use any switches when updating BIOS with a modded file? I have successfully updated one mobo without switches, but that was just because I didn't know I could use any. I certainly want to preserve the recovery boot part.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. andyp

andyp SLIC Tools Author

Aug 8, 2008
    Hi

Firstly RC10 is old. Use 1.02 and let me know if it still freezes as I should fix it! Could you also give a link to the BIOS.

Existing SLIC 1B deleted - some BIOSes have a dummy SLIC. Unless a dynamic mod is done this should be removed (actually SLIC is changed to OEMS) so that there is no possibility of 2 SLICs - which can cause freezing on OS start.

Always shrink 1B - only used in specific cases. Unless you know you need to, don't! Makes the program try and shrink the 1B module in SSV1/3/Dynamic mods - as I say, only needed in special cases.

Use extra space - When shrinking 1B it uses other strings to blank to get the module smaller. Some can cause problems with EZFlash so again, only use in specific circumstances (when default SSV2/3 mod fails).

See the readme in the latest version.

If it says successful at end the BIOS should be fine. I would always use the newest version, however.

Only switch when flashing is /i.

Andy

3. madaload

Dec 20, 2008
    Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. 911medic

911medic MDL Guru

Aug 13, 2008
  5. madaload

Dec 20, 2008