Shutting Down NICs

Discussion in 'Windows 11' started by imlost2, Jan 24, 2023.

1. imlost2

imlost2 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Anybody know why the command:

• C:\Windows\System32\wbem\WMIC.exe path win32_networkadapter where PhysicalAdapter=True call disable
    no longer works in Window3s 11? I had used it in Windows 10 to prevent MS from surreptitiously updating the OS or sending telemetry info
    back to Redmond during bootup or shutdown, before my firewall started. But now that commend leaves some NICs disabled and some still operating.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. strotee

strotee MDL Member

Jan 30, 2011
    I recommend PowerShell.
    Code:
    powershell -c "Get-NetAdapter | Disable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false"

That code snippet works in a batch script (.bat or .cmd). Best of luck.

Of course, to enable them again do this command.
    Code:
    powershell -c "Get-NetAdapter | Enable-NetAdapter -Confirm:$false"

3. imlost2

imlost2 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2013
    Thanks. I'll give it a shot. Didn't know Powershell worked in batch files. Hopefully it also works in an autoIt script. That's what I was using to have user feed back.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. MS_User

MS_User MDL Guru

Nov 30, 2014
    why dont you just disable it at the HW level? is the only way to be sure MS dont sneak anything throw ;)

5. imlost2

imlost2 MDL Member

Aug 5, 2013
    @MS_User, you mean in the BIOS or Windows Device Manager? That's too cumbersome unless there's a way to script it. But thanks for the suggestion.