Simplix Pack to update Live Win7 System/ Integrate hotfixes into Win7 distribution

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Enthousiast, May 13, 2013.

1. dude905

dude905 MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2016
    So you're talking about having a dual boot system, logging into 10 and updating 7 at the same time, yeah ?

2. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    No, he meant to say it's now possible to use the simplix pack on windows 10 build 16299.15 aka 1709 RS3 to offline update windows 7 images.

3. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    @dude905 Simplix update pack can be used two ways:
    - download the pack on a PC running windows 7 and run it like any other executable - this will update your existing windows 7 with the necessary updates/hotfixes/etc.
    - download the pack on a PC running anything from windows 7 to the latest windows 10 and use it to integrate updates into a windows 7 iso(a.k.a offline integration, servicing an image, etc.) - this way you will have an updated windows 7 iso ready to be installed on any compatible PC and you will not need to spend time downloading updates after the installation.
    That screenshot earlier was just proof that the updated version of the 17.10.10 pack can be used under the latest build of windows 10 - 16299.15 or newer. There were issues with using the freshly released simplix update pack under windows 10 16299.15. The recent patch, discussed on the previous page, fixed that problem.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. Winter

Winter MDL Member

Jun 25, 2009
    Whenever I try to use Simplix or the integrator app I get a message "Your computer must be restarted. Do you want to restart now?". And it shows up every time and doesn't integrate anything.

5. joe7dust

joe7dust MDL Junior Member

May 1, 2011
    Is there a tutorial on how to do that? I don't even have w10 installed atm, but if the end result means I don't have to get monthly packs from Russia I'm down to give it a whirl! :)

6. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Read OP.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. joe7dust

May 1, 2011
    I just installed the latest simplix pack and everything seemed to work after a few reboots, but when I go to windows update it is still showing the 12 important updates that brought me here aren't installed. Still same old Code 8024200D error as well... grrr.

8. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    You can safely ignore them.

9. joe7dust

May 1, 2011
    Well... 9 of them are security related. Ignoring them doesn't exactly give me a warm, fuzzy feeling. :wallhead:

10. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    Then you can atleast share a screenshot of the actual KBs windows update is offering... The screenshots in your thread aren't very informative...

11. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    KB2862330 is replaced by KB2862330-v2
    All the others are in the update pack since late 2013(at least according to the changelog).
    Can't see the KB number of the .NET updates, but I suppose those are in there as well. Check your installed updates an use the search function.

12. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Dotnet3.5x is updated by the pack, higher versions aren't.

13. shhnedo

shhnedo MDL Expert

Mar 20, 2011
    #1455 shhnedo, Oct 19, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
    It seems all updates you see in Windows Update are included. In any case, it's pointless getting paranoid about these updates. They are the least of your worries if and when you catch "a bug". Just relax, grab a bag of Ruffles, some cola and go enjoy a movie.
    You can always use the update pack to prepare an iso in case you decide to perform a clean install.

Which brings me to the following question: do quality rollups for .net contain anything "unwanted"?

14. dude905

dude905 MDL Junior Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Thank you for explaining it better

15. Thehandyman1957

Thehandyman1957 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    Ok, so now I have another problem. My "menu show delay" set at 500 and "mouse hover time" set at 600 will not work.

It acts like it's set to zero. When I try to mouse over any menu, all sub menu's come up instantly making it hard to focus the mouse on anything.

I tried setting both of these registry settings to something slower but it doesn't change anything.

Any Idea's? This really needs to be fixed.

I applied your update to a fresh install of Windows 7. It has been doing it ever since.

I even disabled "Animations in the taskbar and start menu" in the Performance options and that did not fix it either.

16. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Why would this be caused by simplix pack? It only installs an USB driver installation option for the usb3 controller, never seen anybody experiencing what you describe.

17. Thehandyman1957

Thehandyman1957 MDL Novice

Oct 18, 2017
    #1459 Thehandyman1957, Oct 20, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    I don't know if I'm able to answer that since I simply don't know. All I know is that immediately after the update
    my menu delay was changed to super fast and when I went to try to change them the settings were normal
    and changing them to anything else does not change the delay time at all.

And as I showed earlier, that was not the only issue I had. My system restore was completely disabled.
    I was able to fix that one.

This system was only 4 days old when I installed your update package and it did not exhibit this behavior
    before the update. I have never had a reg edit not take effect. But even after several restarts it still will not
    allow the registry changes to take affect.

Edit: So just to be sure, I went ahead and did a selective start up with just loading system services
    and it gave me the same result. I will try a diagnostic start up and see if that changes anything.

Edit: Same thing with diagnostic start up. Nothing but basic window structure and I still get this same problem. I can edit the registry but the edits don't change anything.

I even tried to change the blinker cursor rate just to see while in the diagnostic mode and even an extreme number did not change anything.

It's like the operating system is not listening to what the registry tells it. Very strange behavior.

Edit: Ok, so I went ahead and created a new user account on the same computer and it does not
    exhibit the same behavior. So this appears to be a account issue and not a whole operating system issue.

Edit: Well apparently my account is corrupted somehow. I tried every way I could find to fix it but it's a no go. What a pain in the ars. Even the transfer wizard could not transfer my settings or save them.

I think if I do this again I will do it on a temp admin account and then when all is done go and make my normal account. Simply too much work to do this all twice.

In the end I suppose it is completely possible that something was wrong with the account in the first place.
    Anything is possible.

18. Enthousiast

Enthousiast MDL Tester

Oct 30, 2009
    Updated the OP with the updatepack 17.10.10 and the patch to 17.10.15 + the newly created updatepack17.10.15.