Single 240gb SSD Drive - Best Partitioning MBR or UEFI/GPT?

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by Antilope, Dec 27, 2015.

1. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    I have a Dell Inspiron 17r 5737 laptop made in 2013. The cpu is an Intel i5 4200u with 8gb DDR3 ram.

It currently has a 1-TB WD spinning hard disk, partitioned with UEFI/GPT, that I am replacing with a 240gb SSD drive. I'm only using about 120gb of the 1-TB. The current drive is dual boot, Windows 10 and some Linux distros. It has about 2/3 of the space allocated to Windows 10 and 1/3 to Linux. The 1-TB will become an external USB 3.0 offline backup drive.

I will only be using the single 240gb SSD drive in the laptop. It will be dual boot with Windows 10 and some Linux distros. I will probably allocate 2/3 of the ssd drive for Windows 10 and 1/3 for Linux. I will not be installing the ssd drive with any other drive.

What is the best and fastest partitioning format for a single 240gb SSD hard drive? MBR or UEFI/GPT? The laptop is capable of handling either partitioning scheme. I just want to use the one that is the fastest and best.

This is not for gaming, just web surfing and general home office use.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    depending on your linux if it supports GUID GPT drive EFI booting.
    other than that id use GUID as MBR can sometimes be infected by malware.

3. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    Is it this simple to do it?

MBR to GPT disk.jpg

Let's say this app can do it from within Winblows, as easily as this, just a click or two...

Does it affect the existing Linux and Winblows installations somehow?

If I then decide to install a new Linux OS, over the old one I already have installed - does it affect the potential new Linux installation in any way, must one do a different installation procedure than with MBR? Or does one proceed the same as before?

I am not an IT pro, obviously.... :D hence the Q's... ;)

Thanx!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
    #4 LatinMcG, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    if youre on EFI boot of win 10 i think easybcd 2.3 can boot linux .. add grub2.
    but looks like youre on MBR and want to change to GPT ? windows 10 boot may be affected as it wont boot Mater Boot Record (missing in GPT) therefore bios EFI loads a .efi boot file from Boot folder.
    but then its added to bcd via easybcd add linux grub2

best to lookup info on mint and EFI boot if it doesnt work. (i havent tested gpt and mint)

google windows 10 EFi linuxmint 17 multiboot

GPT= windows boots from EFI as no MBR in GPT to boot from old style.
    does your mainboard support EFI or secureboot ?

5. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #5 Antilope, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    (OP)
  6. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I use Win7 and have some version of Ubuntu as dual boot. I know how to do this, no problem, from partitioning onwards...

I start with W7, delete all the partitions, make one for W7, one for data, leave plenty for Linux and SWAP.

Install W7, then Ubuntu, add an alternative GRUB, Bob's yer uncle... :D

What I don't know is the new stuff, UEFI, secureboot, GPT etc.

Must learn, will learn! :D

Thanx! :)

7. John Sutherland

John Sutherland MDL Addicted

Oct 15, 2014
  8. LatinMcG

LatinMcG Bios Borker

Feb 27, 2011
  9. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Everyone thanks for all of your tips and suggestions about setting up the SSD drive. It will be a real help when I set it up when it arrives next week. I will report back how it goes. Have a Happy New Year everyone!

10. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #10 Antilope, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015
    (OP)
  11. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    The laptop has 8gb of DDR3 ram. I made 8.192gb of swap space. The system is dual boot using grub. No comparison in speed from the 1TB hard disk to this SSD drive.

12. gorski

gorski MDL Guru

Oct 21, 2009
    I have a laptop with SSD and 8GB RAM. No need for SWAP at all! :D Try and tell... ;)

13. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    #14 Antilope, Dec 31, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2015
    (OP)
    I just have the swap space set aside in case it's ever needed. I'm usually only surfing with Firefox and the swap is never used because the system is only using 1gb or less of ram anyway and 0gb of swap according to the System Monitor. I have Linux swappiness set to 1 (down from the default 60 setting) anyway, per the suggestion of the link I posted above.

14. EFA11

EFA11 Avatar Guru

Oct 7, 2010
    sorry to intrude but, the term swappiness always makes me laugh hehe

15. Antilope

Antilope MDL Member

Sep 15, 2015
    Linux is full of weird names anyway. What marketing genius would name programs grub and gimp? Good thing they are free, they would never sell with those names. Yes those are abbreviations for longer names, but come on! :D