Site section will not load, does via proxy

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by chezybezy, Feb 15, 2009.

1. chezybezy

chezybezy MDL Novice

Feb 15, 2009
    hi,
    for the last few months the item detail subsection of game.co.uk will not load.
    for example: click on any item listed such as a ps2 game or pc game and the page never loads. I can search the site etc but if i ever want to viw details of an item it just gives the usual white page with transferring data from ww5.game.co.uk...
    This occurs in FF3, IE (yuck but it was worth a try!), opera, FF portable, and on any pc in the house!
    So last night i decided to give a proxy a go see if it loads (some random idea) you say, but for some reason it loads the items details if i use one (i gave hidemyass a go - was first in the google results).

So what could it be?
    i have noticed about 3 sites ive been having problems with mainly game.co.uk, facebook (but that may just be the server i keep getting connected to but its constant so may be related), and for some reason i cant remember the 3rd site :s. oh as well as ebay but that i believe is due to poor site design and server load. that makes 4 sties.

Game.co.uk used to work several months back as i ordered a load of games from there so any ideas what it could be?

if you want my HW set up please let me know.

Chez

2. HMonk

HMonk MDL Addicted

Nov 3, 2008
    Tis you , not they

The following is presumptive insofar as comparing different systems is not entirely reliable.

I run FF3.0.6 and XP SP3. I was able to fully access Games.co.uk and all of its links. So, what's wrong at your end? The possibilities are legion but for openers I would suggest:

1. Clear cache;
    2. Remove any games.co.uk cookies and edit cookie handling to remove all references to games.co.uk (whether allowed or blocked); then allow cookies;
    3. When you access games.co.uk. if you employ the NoScript addon, allow scripts;
    4. When you access games.co.uk, close any anti V/malware progs;
    5. Lastly, and this is a prime suspect, determine if your software/hardware/ISP/network has blocked access to this/other sites.

You did not say but since web proxies seem to bypass the issue, I have to wonder about blockers and how you are routed to the Internet. Finally, you say "for the past few months"; does that mean that you used to be able to access the site without difficulty? If so, any changes at your end (the items in number 5, above) that might account for the issue appearing?

Monk

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...