Skip Metro

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ace2, Sep 26, 2012.

1. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    I think it is OK to protect your tweak... :)
    ...BTW: why are two reboots required?
    ...it can be forced to single one for sure... :)

2. frwil

frwil MDL Addicted

Sep 22, 2008
    This value is missing in it like in Win7's file, but 7989's file has the same LicenseID as in final Win8, while file from Win7 has another LicenseID, so, if installed, it won't substitute existing one inside tokens.dat, and may cause some mess for licensing service.

Yes. i like your tool exactly because of this permissions' stuff which is just awful to deal with manually, lol. Took me, as specified, two reboots to start skipping Metro.
    :cool:

3. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    It can be forced but in test the forced methode took 3-4 minutes in .NET/WPF but as in the script it took about 20sek like in the Video.
    I don't know if this is caused by VM(ware) or WPF. I hadn't the time anymore to test the Application under a real machine. But very much testing in vm.

4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Could you send me that forced version? I'll test it for you. :)

5. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    In my very first tests I just replaced it. And it works normal/well.

Someone should finaly try to hack this damn system. Than we could customize the system in very cool ways.
    I have some more very rare known tweaks, but they all depend on some Systempolicy value.

6. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I may will contact you tomorrow and compile you a forced version.

It takes 2 reboots because of some caching issues with windows. I'm not really sure where this is cached. There are many things I don't understand anymore.
    Also the WMI(c) OS Informations aren't anymore stored in registry. - If someone could tell me how I can change (temporary) the EditionID like "Professional" than I may could publish some of the other tweaks.
    It's not depending on the currentversion string or any other registry values (I found).

7. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    OK...
    ...BTW: You should start a new project here, many people will help you. :)

8. gearman

gearman MDL Novice

Sep 12, 2009
    Bypass Metro UI

Nice program, thanks. It took 3 reboots and I never lost activation. I had it backed up just in case.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    How is your system activated? Retail, MAK, KMS?
    Before anything gets changed I backup the current state (just in case and for restore option)
    (Yes, sometimes it depends. Normaly if you just restart after install twice the fix takes effect.)

10. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    #70 moderate, Oct 28, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
    The activation isn't problem for me, because when I got unactivated, I just run slui.exe and click Activate. :)
    The only issue is number of restarts, there were systems, which required even more than four. :) There is also no problem to wait 5 minutes, after program does its magic...

11. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    If someone wants a forced version, contact me over PM.
    Difference: Should take effect within the next reboot. Reboot will be initiated by the tool.

12. quadsoft

quadsoft MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    Oh it's a real competition who makes the best bypass metro start screen program, huh?

Although I've programmed NoTilesPlease I'll try to show you a 'objective' view on all three programs:

Skip Metro Suite NoTilesPlease Bypass Modern UI
    + also disables EdgeUI + also disables HotCorners + no extra program needed
    - uses service that runs in background - runs utility on startup/logon - changes activation data - several reboots needed to take into effect
    So you can decide which program is the best^^

13. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    several reboots needed to take into effect - Not in forced version (I can provide). And in normal version is normaly 2 reboots. I guess some reboot Issues result as If you don't restart immediately.
    changes activation data - not quiet right --> rebuilding token, I can't save the activation. - But sometimes it works withoug re-activating. And ist not effected on KMS.

It's little different than you summarize.
    I don't defend, I just correct. I'm happy if someone uses my methode, but I also understand that some won't do the hard way.

14. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    #74 hb860, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
    Note that most other tools Like Classic Shell, Stardock Start8 and so on also has service that runs in background.
    I claimed at IntoWindows's site why is so. :)

KRANZ, you are awesome! We all here respect you very much. Your research result is the best solution for fresh installed, not activated Windows 8 :)

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  15. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    I updated the tool now. I run some tests and if all works the right way. It will be released:

changes:

+Confirm prompt for install
    +Forced checkbox (with tooltip) (1 restart is needed, not 2 or 'several')
    +About button
    +Version string directly in UI

*rebuild layout from the ground up
    *changed little ui elements
    *changes background from donate button (4000 downloads, 1 donation - that's internet :tea: )

-"experimental" groupbox

16. hb860

hb860 MDL Expert

May 7, 2010
    Just checked userinit way of metro-skipping.
    It is better for me to have the service at background, 'cause this way works faster than userinit, and Skip Metro Suite WILL USE the service.
    For those who cares about running service I can add an option to stop the service right after first logon.
    It will not run constantly, but you will loose the possibility to handle re-logon/logoff events, e.g. when you log off from you PC and log in back, the Start screen will remains.

17. quadsoft

quadsoft MDL Novice

Oct 30, 2012
    I can only say how it is in my scenario: When using Skip Metro, the StartScreen is visible for maybe half a second, with NoTilesPlease it isn't. Of course, every system is different and I believe that on some machines your solution works better, on other machines my solution works better. :)

18. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
  19. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #79 KNARZ, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2017
    This should work for Windows Server 2012 (administrator prompt)

VBS:
    Code:
    result = Msgbox("Disable Modern UI during sign-in?", vbYesNo, "Modern UI Switcher for WS2012")

set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    set FSO = CreateObject("Scripting.FileSystemObject")
    strFileName = fso.GetTempName
    set oFile = fso.CreateTextFile(strFileName)

oFile.WriteLine "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Server [1 5 7 11 17]"
    oFile.Close

modernKey = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Server\ClientExperienceEnabled"

If result = vbYes Then
        WshShell.RegWrite modernKey,0,"REG_DWORD"
    Else
        WshShell.RegWrite modernKey,1,"REG_DWORD"
    End If

FSO.DeleteFile strFileName
    WScript.Echo "Done."

20. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    The key is protected, owner of that key needs to be changed 1st and Admins group added with full access to it as 2nd.

It also removes "PC Settings" from charm and also two additional icons...