Skip Start Screen Natively

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ace2, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #21 Josh Cell, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    VM's always is crappiest.. I've problems on updates on untouched systems using it anyway...

I'm constantly making RILC tests on my real machine activated with a RETAIL MSDN key and it never has bricked any update.. :eek:

But it can be a isolated case, I never do reinstalling the license files on my Advanced Tokens Manager, only if the system hasn't been activated then I programatically read all XRM-MS as byte in memory, and use the InstallLicense method from WMI giving the ASCII Byte Array to it.

RILC reinstalls all licenses, it's the safer method from SLMGR.VBS, that's really coded by Microsoft.. I never seen that problem on a real machine, also can be occurs on Windows Media Center systems, that have two Product Names instead of one, it is unclear for me.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    #22 KNARZ, Nov 22, 2012
    ace2 code is damn redundant and has many obsolet lines.
    josh code (sry josh) doesn't make sense at all at this point.

also the () is confusing and pointless. just registry for ignored reg key.

thanks for confirm. rilc works with no problems in w7 but w8 there seems a bug, I already posted in ms forum a few days ago.
    (will sleep now)

3. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    #23 Josh Cell, Nov 22, 2012
    It points C hierarchy, and make the code a bit more understandable for the community...

It don't take any effect on the code.

Starting and Stopping the SPPSVC, you're forcing the service to make all changes to the Tokens.dat file.

NET STOP waits for the service stops, this delay means that the service requires more time to save all changes.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    Hmmm, it can be useful for propagating the change...
    BTW: I can confirm problems with /rilc on real machine after the clean install (I've alarmed MS on MS Answers COM already)...

5. Josh Cell

Josh Cell MDL Developer

Jan 8, 2011
    I'll take a look around the Windows Media Center edition of the Windows 8 Pro and give feedbacks here, I only have tested with the PRO-RETAIL version..

It's a really bigger fail when occurs on all machines, I'll also look on my custom RILC using WMI methods...

Thanks for that.

6. moderate

moderate MDL Guru

Aug 31, 2009
    You are welcome...
    ...thanks for Advanced Tokens Manager BTW...

7. KNARZ

KNARZ MDL Addicted

Oct 9, 2012
    Sry, but this depends on the action. - Not generally true.

Example (and please take this as a fact)
    e.g. deleting or changing an XRM and stop/start services has no effect on the tokens.dat content.
    deleting / changing and runnning the task I posted does have an effect. (this may also makes the rilc command while replacing useless - but not tested)

There are different functions/option that can be triggered by spp.

8. ace2

ace2 Guest

UPDATED Page 1 #1 & Page 2 #11 ace2.:biggrin:

9. ace2

ace2 Guest

#29 ace2, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
    (OP)
    Skip-Start Manually:

NEED TO:
    Show hidden files
    Install TakeOwnership

Goto C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic - Cut & Paste explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms to Desktop
    Goto C:\Windows\System32\spp\store - DELETE tokens.dat

2.cmds - Run As Admin:

slmgr.vbs /ilc %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms

timeout /T 30 >nul

NOTES:
    Wait for timeout /T 30 >nul to finish before doing 3.

3.Goto C:\Windows\System32\spp\store - Cut & Paste tokens.dat to Desktop

4.Open tokens.dat on Desktop with Notepad - Select Edit/Find/Find what:login/Find Next/explorer-ClientLoginExperienceAllowed">1< - Change >1< to >0< & Save.

5.Cut & Paste
    tokens.dat from Desktop back to C:\Windows\System32\spp\store (Replacing tokens.dat if its there)

6.Regedit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Server]
    "ClientExperienceEnabled"=dword:00000000

7.Sign out & Sign out again. (If not working Repeat Steps 1.(tokens.dat) to 5.)

NOTES:
    "ClientExperienceEnabled"=dword:00000000 (Desktop)
    "ClientExperienceEnabled"=dword:00000001 (Start Screen)

How to Restore:

Cut & Paste explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms from Desktop back to C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic

Regedit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Server]
    "ClientExperienceEnabled"=dword:00000001

ace2.:biggrin:

10. ace2

ace2 Guest

Updated again works even better now ace2.:biggrin:

11. Please-8

Please-8 MDL Junior Member

Sep 12, 2012
    Can you explain what your tutorial is doing ?
    • You move "explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms" to desktop and use command slmgr.vbs /ilc.
      Why do you do this with the desktop file of "explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms" ?
      Why can't this be done with the file on it's original position in "C:\Windows\System32\spp\tokens\ppdlic" ?
    • Can the file "explorer-ppdlic.xrm-ms" be deleted after the command slmgr.vbs /ilc ?
    • You write that Windows 8 Activation is untouched. I tried the tutorial step by step and after this activation is gone.