Skylake 6700 8 core

Discussion in 'PC Hardware' started by vze2mp9g, May 10, 2016.

1. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Can anyone tell me where can I obtain an eight core Skylake 6700 by Intel, if it exist? I would appreciate any and all assistance concerning this matter.
    Thank You.
    Dave

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

2. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    An alternative to that would be a Xeon. But for a Skylake Xeon (E3-1200 v5 series), you'll need a specific chipset in order for it to work in the motherboard (C232 or C236).

The real question is do you actually need more power than an i7-6700 for what you're doing?

3. Muerto

Muerto MDL Debugger

Mar 7, 2012
    #4 Muerto, May 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2021

4. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    I do a lot of Video and audio processing, multitasking, and almost everything except playing hi tense gaming. I was just thinking more cores equals more multitasking. I like to keep the audio/video processing while doing desktop publishing and connected to the internet doing research.

I purchased for my mother a Toshiba notebook, i7 8 cores with 8 gb of mem, and I don't have to much troubles. Would the Xeon or i7 with 8 cores out perform the skylake chip?

5. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    It depends on what you're doing specifically, but generally things like video editing and rendering can be sped up by adding more cores. If you're willing to spend the money you can build a really powerful workstation with tons of cores. Intel Xeon E5-26xx V4 processors range all the way from 4 cores to 22 cores w/ HyperThreading (44 threads), and you can even get motherboards that take two of these processors.

If your software supports CUDA acceleration then you can always add a Quadro card(s) to get a bit more out of the system.

If you aren't comfortable designing/building it yourself, you can always look at HP/Dell/Lenovo desktop workstations and find something that is already designed for what you need it to do.

6. vze2mp9g

vze2mp9g MDL Addicted

Oct 13, 2012
    Oh yes, I love to build my own systems. That's one reason I asked. I never seen or read about two CPUs, but definitely several graphic cards.

Does ASUS offer MOBOs that saupport multiple CPUs?
    Thank you for your input. It seems like you really know whats out there.

7. bpwnes

bpwnes MDL Member

Aug 11, 2015
    The 5960X seems to out perform the 6700k in both single and multi-threaded applications, but at a three times higher price tag. I don't recommend the E7 8893 v3 only because I don't understand why it has a $6800 USD price tag...

I think they did run into some trouble with manufacturing when they were first doing 14nm stuff, but that got resolved as we have 14nm chips now. I've heard some rumors that support what I suspect is going on (here be dragons), which is Intel already has their next chip lineup ready, but without any competition there isn't a point in releasing it until Skylake supply is sold out or AMD releases something new and threatening. This is entirely speculation of course.

As far as 8c/16t chips, they will most likely only be in the Xeon family. Historically the i7's have only gone up to 6c/12t (LGA2011 only), and have cost ridiculously more than their 4c/8t brothers. Who knows, they may surprise us.